Recovering SWR Workingman's 10 Project

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hopwheels, Oct 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tweed cover w/ oxblood grill cloth

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Black tolex w/ blue/silver grill cloth

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Black tolex w/black silver grill cloth

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Blond tolex w/beige brown and gold stripe grill cloth

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. hopwheels

hopwheels Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey all,
    I'm recovering an SWR Workingman's 10 combo and 1x10T ext cab mainly because I hate the rat fur, but also thought it would make a satisfying project. Removed the rat fur from the 1x10T today...was exactly the pain in the keister reported on every "how to" online, but I'm pretty happy with the result.

I'm kind of wavering on my cover material and grill cloth choices, so I thought a poll would be interesting. The grill cloth choices are from mojotone (Grillcloth) I'm leaning towards tweed and oxblood but...

I'm also going to drop in Eminence Basslite S2010's but not sure what to do with the tweeters. I may just leave them be as I rarely have them on, but if there's a great replacement for them, I'd like to know.

Thanks for any input!

mindwell likes this.
  2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    getting the pattern to match right with tweed is very difficult. and it's gonna be real challenge covering that port slot since the grill doesn't cover it.

tweed/oxblood is one of my favorites but idk if it looks right really on a modern odd sized cabinet.

I think the black/ black silver grill will keep it classy and black be very
    forgiving compared to tweed

thumbs up for using real tolex
    and the rougher more heavily patterned black tolex with lines opposed to common elephant pattern is classy to.

hopwheels likes this.
  3. hopwheels

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm going with blonde rough tolex and wheat grill cloth. Kind of the Fender Bassman look from the early 60's. Kind of an allegory for Fender's take over of SWR...lol. Also decided on the Eminence Legend BP102's for this project. Dropped one in the combo and sounded fantastic! The stock SWR 10's were too harsh (mid and high freq focused) to my ears, and adding the piezo into the mix was worse (I rarely used them anyway). The BP102's are fat.

4. I honestly think it'd be hard to go wrong. I'm with Bogeybass on the tweed thing, I didn't think of the pattern matching, but it's kind of a narrow panel thing. If you could make the thing tv-front though, and go with a burgundy and blonde or off white 2-tone that'd be really cool too, but that's also a bit work intensive. Blonde would look good, but so does black, might as well just flip a coin or roll a die and divide the number in half rounding odd numbers out - 1 for tweed, 2 for black, 3 for blonde - if you're really indecisive.

hopwheels likes this.
  5. hopwheels

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, newest development is that the rat fur on the combo is pulling big chunks of the particle board out. Like a completely different, more intense glue was used. I'm thinking of just rebuilding the box for the combo out of ply to the exact specs and dimensions, then recover. Seems it would be far less work and a nicer finished product.

Maartenaerts likes this.
  6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Hey Jeff, theres a guy on youtube thatdoes fender repicas. I can look it up later if you want to see his tolex tips.

7. As much as it would suck to trash the cab, it would also probably shave a couple of pounds off.

hopwheels likes this.
  8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    No advice - but I had a WM 10 combo for a while and that was by FAR the worst rat fur ever. Previous owner had a dog and there was no getting the hair out of it. I definitely know why you took this on, and I wish you luck :)

hopwheels likes this.
  9. hopwheels

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Since I'm remaking the cabinets, I'd love a recommendation on a different tweeter to use. The stock are Leson LJ piezo's.

10. hopwheels

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    I bought the combo back in I think '98...and despite keeping my stuff really, really clean, this thing is a filth magnet. I just can't do rat fur any more.

tbirdsp likes this.
  11. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey Suspended

Mar 8, 2015
    Personally I see tolex as just as outdated as carpet. Just go with duratex. You could tint it if you want something a little more flamboyant than basic black. And keep the metal grills, which will also be a lot more durable and less work than creating cloth grills for them. A dark/medium blue duratex with the black metal grills could look cool. You could repaint the grills too and go with basically anything at that point.

But it seems like you're doing WAY too much work to upgrade what is basically a cheap low wattage practice amp HEAD at this point (the only part you seem to be keeping now).

I would either be more careful with the carpet removal and then use wood filler to fix any damage (assuming it's not too severe) OR just sell the thing as it is now as a project for someone that wants to put it all back together. You could probably find another combo with a blown speaker/damaged cab/etc... to harvest the head if you really like it that much. But once you get to that point, you have a lot of options on what to get to power your 2 new BP102 cabs. Something with 300+ watts would probably be a better choice than the WM combo head (which is what, 100w).?

12. hopwheels likes this.
  13. hopwheels

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    I'll check 'em out thanks!

14. hopwheels

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Monacor HT-30 tweeter showed up and indeed fit (physical dimensions). Thanks for the tip MuthaFunk!

Got pretty far over the weekend on building the combo cab. Just need to round over the corners, some sanding and caulking inside joints. Then should be ready to cover. Not perfect, but not bad for a first time cabinet build imho. I do know this, it took less time to build this cabinet than to remove the rat fur from the other.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  15. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I recommend adding an airtight barrier between the speaker section and the amp. I have one of these and like it but at moderate volume the various I/O ports make a very noticeable whistling sound. Took a while to figure out what was going on, sounded like some sort of weird distortion. I keep mine plugged with foam earplugs which is fine for stuff that I never use, but kind of a pain for the jacks that I use occasionally such as extension speaker.

hopwheels likes this.
  16. hopwheels

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    I've read that about these, but mine was dead quiet. Never had a whistling sound. Now it may show up that I've rebuilt the cab, we shall see...er hear.

17. hopwheels

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    The original combo and 1x10 extension had 1" thick poly-fil lining the inside, which I plan on duplicating. Hopefully enough of a barrier?

18. hopwheels

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    The SWR Workingman's 10 Blonde edition is complete! Finally had a chance to complete the combo portion of my project. This was a pretty heavy learning experience, working with Tolex and the grill cover material. Well, actually never built anything like this either. I'm pretty happy with the result. There's a lot of little nit-picky things I might do differently next time around (e.g., not 100% sold on the SWR letters on the grill cover, but they pop off easily enough), which I'll work on with the 1X10T extension cab. In the mean time, this thing sounds and looks awesome!

19. minronnee

minronnee

Dec 30, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Very classy. Thank you for sharing with us.

Maartenaerts and hopwheels like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021