Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recreating the sound of "effected" bass lines

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnvice, Sep 16, 2004.

1. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    It would be great to know what signal processing effects TalkBass users perceive in a particular song and what devices and settings are used to recreate the sound.

A few examples to start the ball rolling;

I saw in a recent transcription of YYZ by Rush that there is chorus effect on the bass. Has anybody tried to nail this sound? If so what settings did you use?

The Primus remake of NIB features an intro solo by Les Claypool that has some wild signal processing. Has anyone tried to duplicate this?

2. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    IMHO - Geddy Lee's bass sound peaked on Moving Pictures and it's on full display in YYZ.

There is some chorus on there - but there is also a distortion signal mixed in.

Really though - there's so much processing on the bass on that record it's hard to ever match it fully.

3. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I just heard "Spirit of the Radio" on a good sound system and noticed for this first time there is a delay effect on the bass. The delay is pretty short: flanging not chorus.