1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recruiting bassists

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pklima, Sep 23, 2010.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    A friend's band is having trouble finding a new bassist - they put out some ads last week and got not a single reply. They're a death metal band that's been around for about two years - http://www.myspace.com/immersionpoland

I told her to write some new ads that make them look more attractive to bassists - mention that they gig regularly (for a death metal band, at least), if possible include a picture where you can see they draw good crowds, don't include a list of demands, and definitely remove the mention that the bassist must like beer because that makes it seem like they get wasted at gigs (which they don't). Basically look like a successful and functioning band that happens to need a new bassist.

This is a good-sized city and the university students are starting classes in a week or so, so there are plenty of bassists around. There are about three times as many bands that need a bassist as there are bassists, though, so you gotta be an attractive option.

What else would make you interested in responding to an ad/joining a band? Am I thinking too much like a commercial pop musician here?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Playing any kind of music other than Death Metal!! :p

Seriously, I think for most people it is all about playing the music you like and that would be the main point along with the skill and attitude of the band.

3. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    True, if they didn't play death metal I'd probably join them, haha.

4. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Have your friend include a picture of herself.

Simple.

I'm actually amazed you asked for other advice.

(only kidding a little bit. All bands need to separate themselves from the crowd. Your suggestions are good ones. 'Death Metal' conjures mixed feelings from people that don't understand it, and may alienate some players that might consider playing fast heavy metal otherwise. They might think "Hey, I'm a speed metal freak, but...I'm not sure about the whole 'death' aspect of it. But what the heck, that chick is pretty hot."

5. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Hell, I am out here lookin and everyday in the ads it's one metal band after the other looking for a bass player and nothing else.

I am not a very good candidate for metal.

6. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Yeah, the same thing seems true around here - metal bands seem to have even more trouble finding bassists than others. But most seem to be new bands who have never played a gig and probably never had a bassist. I dunno - judging from all the threads on TB where metal bassists complain about their guitarists, maybe the key is to say "and we'll let you play as many notes as you want, even if some of them aren't roots", haha.

And a picture of the vocalist sure wouldn't hurt, though I know she's very shy about such things.

7. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    There's pictures of her all over their Myspace page. Just put one of those on there, plus direct links to songs, a list of previous shows, and all the professional details about the band.

I really think using other descriptors in addition to Death will widen their search options.

Also, as a band desperate for a bassist, the band should say they're very interested in exploring what a good, talented bassist could do for their music. Even if it's lip-service, if I was a bassist and I saw that the band was enthusiastic about my ideas and creativity, I'd be more inclined to pursue it. Sadly, many bands just want a bassist to complete their band...and by complete, I mean play what the band wants them to play and nothing else.

How can a lead singer of a death metal band be shy?

8. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I know they do want a bassist who will play more complicated parts than the previous one, actually. So it might be good to mention that, but not in the demanding "you must have pro skills and pro gear" way - that just comes off as "good bassists don't want to play with us, all we could ever get are bad ones and we're getting frustrated", I think. And, yeah, they can call it "death-thrash" or something. That should help.

She's just one of those girls who hate having their picture taken or shown anywhere, especially if her face is clearly visible. Not something I'll ever understand...

9. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Thanks everyone - they're running some new ads based on y'all's advice.

10. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    i'd join that band in 2 seconds if i wasnt in the Philippines

11. That chick is hot. Being a metal bass player can be highly rewarding or extremely lame. If you get stuck with a band where they demand you root the whole time it gets incredibly boring after awhile. But then again some metal bass players need to realize that sometimes unison riffing is better for the song.

I'd def throw a picture of that chick in the damn ad and I'd put in a blurb about allowing the new guy to have the creative freedom to express himself and the option to rewrite parts off of previous work if he felt like it.

12. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    Tell them to put these pics in their ad. That should generate interest:

l_1dc6d8747cda4606baada0296ce065a9.png

l_ed4064709aec4c2e99fa6fb8961af029.png

l_98e1b74597c7416490e9f8fe8e4e24a4.png

13. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    That's pretty much what they did - put a couple of pictures there (including the third one), and say something about how they want a bassist who will do more than just double the guitars. I should check in with her and ask how it's going.

Oh, and those pictures are a couple of months to a year old, she's gotten even better-looking since.