Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rectangular inlays...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 1, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I said something about this earlier,but nobody replied.I would like to know where to buy rectangular inlays(example look at Geddy Lee model).How much are they,and how much would they be to have someone "install" them.Thanks,bye.

2. Probably more than you can afford ;)

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They're usually about a $100 to $200 option when installed as original equipment. John DiMaggio at Bass Alone could do it, but I don't know how much he'd charge. Give him a call.

http://www.bassalone.com/

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I haven't seen black block inlays as an option anywhere I have looked, but someone ought to do them. What are they made of, ebony?

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Block in-lays used to be Mother-Of-Pearl or some facsimile thereof.
    These black blocks on a newer model bass? I ASSumed they were painted or stickers.
    In any event, I prefer NO blocks & no dots anywhere on the playing surface...
    Back when I assembled my first bass, the salesman was telling me to go with abelone dots/in-lays; he was sayin', "...you're spending this much $$ on a neck, ya don't wanna put 'stickers'(fake dots) on it".
    I agreed; then he added up how much extra it was to have 'real/wood' dots put into the neck(added about $150 to an already $275 neck). No thank you...& that's when it dawned on me-
    No dots & it gave me a fretless look to boot! ;)

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I did some web searching and according to what I found, the black inlays on Geddy Lee's original Jazz were indeed made of ebony. Don't think the MIJ signature model has that, though.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nowdays they are made out of black plastic. Warmoth offers them in their custom necks, and of course the Geddy Lee Jazz has them.

JimK, these were an option on maple fingerboard Jazz basses in the early 1970's, IIRC, they were only offered 2 or 3 years.

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i think thats too much to get a better look,but how much would it be to remove the dotted inlays?

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    PLASTIC!? Caramba!
    It's a personal issue, I guess; for me, I never wanted a Fender J-bass with the block in-lays(even when they were made of ebony). ;)

Frankencow-
    Be patient...

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i really dig the ones on the Yamaha BBN5A...

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, most guitars and basses with pearl blocks are celluloid or plastic also.