1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recycle!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mellowgerman, Mar 26, 2013.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    My roommate and I were on a road trip last summer when we came across two old stereo speaker towers. We had room in the trunk so we snagged them up.
    A few weeks ago I decided to make a bass amp out of recycled stuff.
    So I did some rewiring of an old 60watt stereo receiver (gave it a 1/4" speaker-out and a 1/4" instrument-in). Bass and treble controls already on the unit work swimmingly.
    Next was the speaker cab. I took the tweeter and smaller speaker out of one of the aforementioned boxes, cut a bigger hole for the 8" speaker out of the second cab. So now I have a nice 16ohm, 2x8" cab to go with the head.
    Sounds surprisingly good. Warm old-school tone. Volume is about what you'd expect from a 1x15 60-75watt store-bought combo. Perfect for my Hot-Tuna-esque folk/blues gigs. Name of the amp: "The New Old Boy"
    Now, however, I found myself with an extra, empty, monetarily-worthless speaker cab... Perfect opportunity to make use of the old Johnson jazz bass neck and SX precision bass pickup :)
    So I say, RECYCLE!

0326131306-1_zps86b223d2.

2. Best acoustic bass ever.

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Good idea for a tombstone.

4. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I need to know what it sounds like! I might have to make one...

5. richntiff

richntiff Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    that is cooool.

6. They should move this to the Basses section so that all the dudes (and chicks) who browse that forum won't miss this.

Looks pretty cool. I'd love to know what that big joker sounds like. Can you record a sample for us?

7. chuckNC

chuckNC

Aug 21, 2012
    That's alright!!!

8. I_LIEK_BASE

I_LIEK_BASE

Feb 6, 2013
    Milwaukee
    That's AWESOME!! That bass is a beast! Do you pretty much have to play it like an upright?

9. Wrong forum- the *awesome* factor FAR outweighs the *humor*:)

10. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks for the kind words everybody :D
    It's actually pretty comfortable to play horizontally, sitting down. Also, pretty comfy to play cello-style.
    Decent volume unplugged; could keep up with your average acoustic guitar.
    Tone is tough to describe... especially for me, since I haven't heard anyone else play it yet, and I imagine it sounds a lot different and louder when you're out in front of it!
    Plugged in it sounds pretty cool. Impressive sustain... just keeps going and going. I'm sure feedback would be a pain though in any plugged setting other than maybe a small jam or coffee house gig.
    As for recording a sound sample I think that could be tough. At least if I was going to try to capture the acoustic sound of it and do it justice. Gave most of my decent recording stuff to a friend who lives 8.5hrs away in CT.
    On a side-note, I certainly wouldn't mind if any mods felt like moving it to a more frequented section. I just figured if I posted it anywhere else I'd get a lot of people asking me for their 2min of wasted time back... you know how some of the more serious TBers can get ;)

11. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    You know how when you watch a documentary on your favorite band or how your favorite album was recorded, and there is always that one oddball "secret weapon" that made the music unique?

You my friend just found your signature "secret weapon". Nicely done.

12. This stuff is really cool. I like your style!

13. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks!

UPDATE: Just defretted it and put some flat wounds on. Just gets better and better!
    I've also been playing it quite a bit acoustically. It is louder than my Tacoma Thunderchief was. Plugged in tone is awesome. Like an upright.

14. that's just too cool, congrats on a great recycle project :cool:

If feedback's a problem, maybe find something to plug at least the larger (8") opening like used on acoustic guitars?

15. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Surprisingly, feedback hasn't been an issue really; at least not more than with a normal hollowbody. It's kind of fun to play around with too, for that infinite sustain factor