Red and black dots piss me off!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cloud_Connected, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    Well... was watching some scales at the adress as you see at the scales there are just some ****ing red and black dots. What the **** does that meen and how do i know which fret its played on. This black and red dots piss me off, and which scales are often used in Metal music so i dont learn any for reggae cus i never play it.

Thanks in advance
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Look at the key and chill out. :rolleyes:
  3. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Well it's a minor Pentatonic scale, in the key of C, so you start your first note in mode one on C. The rest of the modes are as you go down the neck. If you look carefully you can see how they interlock. To change keys, you just start on that root note and use the same pattern.
    The black notes are the basic scale, what most Rock uses. To make it a blues scale you add the red notes in. That's my favorite. Some heavy metal uses a Harmonic scale ie Randy Rhodes. They don't show that, and I can't help w/ Reggae.
    Hope this helps and I'm not down to you.
  4. do you want to play connect four? :)
  5. Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    Whats connect four?

Ehm.. anyways
    Some people say when they hear a song that its played in E major scale, but how do they know that i ask.
    They say you gotta find the key? What is the key and how do i find the almighty KEY? :bassist: :help:

Only the best thing to happen to checkers since...well, jumping and king me.

That's it, you're banned.

play it for yourself
  7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

OK dude, calm down.

1) Learn the minor, minor pentatonic, and blues scales first.

2) BUY........A.........BOOK so you can ask the right questions. I recommended a great one in your last thread.

3) Accept that you are going to suck bad for atleast a year or two and it's going to be alot of work in the beginning. This is the realization that separates the people that actually become musicians and the people that let their instrument collect dust in the closet.
  8. Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    Ehm... you see mate i live in Sweden so i cant really order the books i was suggested to buy. Can you suggest any? Eh ffs just tell me what kind of book to buy.

Thanks in advance

/Sky... i meen Cloud
  9. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Find a song that has one ringing note or one note pumped over and over in the beginning. That is most likely the root (the root can and probably will change somewhere in the song though). Then you listen to what other notes are played and how they relate to the root determines the scale.

A will be the root in the following scales. All scales are described by their relation to the major scale (the foundation of all western music).

A major (middle finger on A, one finger per fret/no lateral hand shifts)

The name of all the scale tones in order is root (1), 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, octave (8)

A minor (pointer finger on A, again one finger per fret/no hand shifts)

The names of all the scale tones in order is root (1), 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7, octave (8)

b--means flat (back one fret)

#--means sharp (forward one fret)

Here is a little line to show you a little bit how to use a scale:

Its a simple walk up and walk down of the B major scale

It's an old motown song ("Stand by Me" I think). The first part should atleast sound familiar (I hope).
  10. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Any beginning level "Learn Bass Now!" book would be fine. Definitely look for one that concentrates on rock bass if you can. Keep in mind one thing though, all these books are good for are teaching you basic music theory and proper physical technique. They don't really teach you how to play. That's done by playing with albums/people.:bassist:
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

TABS?!?! We are trying to help him get better.... :D
  12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    It means if you play them your bass will explode.

13. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    take lessons. this site is a substitute, but nothing compares to lessons. A good teacher will be able to explain this better to you in an hour than anyone on this site can through type.

In the meantime, check out:

2 awesome sites for getting started and up to a mediumish level.
  14. Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    Sure of course i cold sit here and keep playing the notes on the scale but how does that help me figuring out a song? Or how to figure out in which scale the song is played in.
    How do YOU do when you figure out which scale the song is played in.
    I know you can do it with help of a chord in a song but the songs im trying to figure out aint using chords. So how do you do it?
    For example had anyone of you heard IN FLAMES song artique with the stars, there are like thousands of chords so how should you be sure of which scale its played in.:bassist:
  15. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm shocking myself by responding in this.....:scowl:

What are you trying to accomplish?

Are you wanting to learn how to make music?

Play someone else's songs?
  16. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    every song uses chords. every single one. just because they're not being strummed out on a guitar does not mean that they are not being used.

Sounds like you are having trouble with transcribing (learning songs by ear) specifically when it comes to figuring out the logistics of the song. Lump made an excellent post on transcribing a while back, I believe if you check the sticky on general instruction links in the general instruction forum, it will be there. it had everything, and was great.

Edit: Found it:

I believe it has all the answers you're looking for.
  17. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If you want people to help you, please fill out your profile.
    The more we know about you , the easier it is to give
    you sensible advice.

Music books are available in Sweden. It is not exactly
    a musical or cultural backwater.

1) Find a teacher. Take lessons. A good teacher can do more
    for you in an hour than typing on your computer for a week.
    And he or she will show you how to 'connect the dots'.

2) Practice. This will improve your technique and your ability
    and your ear.

3) Read the General Instruction and Technique forums.
    A lot of your questions have already been addressed there
    and there is loads of good advice. Take it and use it.

And please, don't swear. There are a lot of musicians here
    that really love music, and the profanity just makes you look
    like a jerk, instead of someone genuinely interested in asking
    questions and getting music help.

18. Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    Yeah... thanks guys.
    I think i got the point now.
  19. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You are quite welcome.

And welcome to Talkbass! :)
  20. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I think you're trying ro run before you can walk. Slow down.

One other thing, when first starting to try to pick up music by ear it's important to pick the right songs/albums to jam along to (probably not your favorite albums/bands). I highly recommend the first 4 Danzig albums. They have very simple, repetitive blues and hard rock tunes that will go a long way in developing your timing, technique, and understanding of scales. If you'd like, after you buy a book and learn a few scales, buy the first Danzig album. PM me when you have done this and I can help YOU learn the songs by ear by giving you the roadmap to figure it out yourself (I'll tell you what scales are used).

It's normal for people just starting out to use tab to learn a few of their favorite basslines. That's alright, just make sure you swear it off after a while. The bassist has to have the best ears in the band and your ears don't get any better with tab.