Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Red Bull gives you wings."

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xcental34x, Feb 16, 2006.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Can someone explain to me why I wouldn't be able to sue for false advertising?

2. For the same reason you can't sue for Gushers showing kids eating their fruit snacks and their heads turning into fruits.

Common sense.:D

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Drink too much and get a heart attack. That's why.

4. They have better lawyers than you.

5. +1

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Mere puffery about a product is not considered misleading or deceptive.

7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Their adds are cartoons, the cartoons get wings, it's quite obvious that it isn't real. If they did the same thing, except rigged a system up with real people and actually made a serious attempt to persuade consumers that Red Bull really does give you wings, and you were able to make a case that proves that 1 - Red Bull cannot give you wings, and 2 - You purchased the product under the premise that you would get wings, then by all means.

And yes, they have better lawyers than you, so you'd still lose.

And don't think common sense, that doesn't always matter in the legal system. :D

8. Puffery. Cool- I like that. A brief definition, perhaps?

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Here you go:

"Puffery" is a representation, statement, or conduct that clearly over-exaggerates the attributes or characteristics of some product or service and is not intended to be an offer to be relied upon. Puffery consists of statements commending particular subject matter and not statements of fact or promissory statements. The non-specific language of a puff fails to satisfy the criteria of contractual obligation for the reason that no contract was intended: Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co [1893] 1 QB 256; [1891-94] All ER Rep 127. It may still constitute misleading or deceptive conduct (although not a contractual term) where it has the capacity to lead persons into error. A puff or a ‘mere puff’ is to be contrasted with a misrepresentation or misleading representation, which would not be clearly unsustainable, and would be likely to be believed by at least some persons.

Thats an overview of the Australian position.

10. On behalf of The United States Of America(or at least U.S. citizens who may agree w/me), thank you. BTW, the term 'mere' adds quite a bit for me.:)

11. They say at the end that it doesn't give you wings now, they are covering their tooshies

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    They're changing their position? They're now claiming it doesn't give you wings? Flip floppers. Justice needs to be served.

13. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Red Bull almost gave me some kind of a stroke or something. We were entrants in the 1st annual red bull soapbox derby (denver) and I was pretty dehydrated as usual. the only thing easily available were all these bins of red bull... for free even....I drank at least 8 or so....it almost gave me wings ;)

14. I'm distubingly addicted to this drink.

15. "Eat a snickers and become President"

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If you eat Mentos, you can be a jackass and nobody will care

17. Well, what if a little kid drinks red bull thinking that it will give him wings, so he jumps of a building and dies?

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Red Bull and Jager make you drunk. Ask Tim Cole! :D

19. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Natural Selection

:cool: