1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Red/Chestnut Hair

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by bassfox, Mar 6, 2013.

1. bassfox

bassfox

Jun 22, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Curious if anyone has tried or is currently using red/chestnut hair?

What are your thoughts on how it compares to white.

2. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Last we had my son's bow rehaired by Rodney Mohr he had a very light chestnut which he reported the Cleveland Symphony bass players were very fond of. As the bow was new to us at the time (last spring) elected to stay with white however it is due again and plan to try out the chestnut in the next 3 - 6 weeks. We are also in the Columbus area (SE side). Keep in touch and you would be welcome to come by and take for a spin.

3. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    I've never used it for a long period, but I have tried it on other people's bows and here are my impressions (informed by what I have heard as well)

- slightly coarser than white hair, but less coarse than black hair (much like silver hair)
    - a slight springiness or elasticity in the hair that is not present in black/white hair)

I liked it, but it's harder to get in general ( I've known people who send their bows to Texas from Toronto to get a rehair, which seems crazy to me), so I stick with black hair.

It's definitely worth a try, especially if a teacher has recommended it to you and you've got a place to get it.

4. Medve

Medve

Mar 8, 2013
    I have the aformentioned colour hair on my bow. Received it from Heinl's in Toronto a few months ago for my Heliomar Cirilo german bow. Works fine. Eerbrev might be right about the "slight springiness". Holds rosin well, does not break often. Works great on my solo strings.

5. AlcalaBass

AlcalaBass

Jan 28, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have two bows with brown hair and I love it. Gets the string moving quicker and the tone is a little more aggressive. You do have to lighten up when trying to play softer.