1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Red Diamond E and A strings. Anybody love them?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ERIC A, Apr 22, 2019.

1. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

Any Impressions on the strings positive or negative. It seems to me I've read more negative than positive. Thanks for your help.

2. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    In the thread for the whole set I wrote a bunch about them. I gave them a serious try, but threw in the towel on them recently. I'll summarize:

1. acoustically they balance nice with the set on my bass, and I like the way they sound.
    2. amplified they are super noisy because of the windings. shifting and sliding is also a challenge at first because of the same reason.
    3. while I liked them initially, both the E and A gave up their windings in less than a year. too much hassle for me - back to synthetics.

Feel free to float any specific questions at me.

dhergert and ERIC A like this.
  3. I had a set of red diamonds on my Cleveland plywood for a while. I took them off because the tension felt too low and the sound was muddy. The low tension is across all the strings but especially on the G and D.

I'm used to plain gut G and D with spiro E and A, and the Red Diamonds are very different to that. They have a winding on every string, and they're made from cheaper gut.

I should have saved the unravelled string, but I got depressed and binned it.

The windings are a problem too- When I took the set off my bass, the G string unravelled.

Having said all that, they have a big sound!

Last week I put the E and A back on my bass with plain gut G and D (1 lenzner and 1 random gamut i think).

This is a much better combination to my ears.

So my conclusion is that the E and A make an acceptable complement to plain guts up top on my bass.

They are cheap for an all gut set though- good for testing the waters.

ERIC A likes this.
  4. Update: the A string has become unwound between the fingerboard and the bridge. I had it on my bass for two weeks.

I think i’ll look for another brand of gut, the Red Diamond are too fragile for me.

5. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I have Red Diamond E and A - with Lenzner D & G - on one of my ply basses. I got them slightly used on the classifieds here a couple of weeks ago. Nice full gut sound.