1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Red Mitchell on youtube

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by anonymous8547j7d7b, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Simply great music. Thanks. BTW the guitar player is Rune Gustafsson.

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Beautiful-- thank you!

3. Reuben

Reuben Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    What a treat. Thanks!

4. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Red Mitchell is just incredible. How do you get that relaxed and creative?

5. Typical, gorgeous Red......Thanks Jay!

6. Look how high up on the f-board Red's right hand is.... and it looks like he uses ALL the fingers sometimes. Wow.

7. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    You don't see it so much on this clip (the other ones posted the other day showed it better), but his thumb doesn't hook around the FB like we use, but sits just behind the low string. I tried this thinking i'd have greater mobility but found that I seem to use the E and A strings too often and it affects my tone on these. From what I can see Red uses the top three strings much more, with much vertical shifting. I guess this is a difference playing in 5ths. My thumb is back hooked around the ebony ...

8. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Especially on the videos with Clark Terry, he really likes to strum the chords and put a little bite into them.

9. Don't forget that low string is a C.
    Red wrote a tune called "One Long String" This concept is that if there could be just one long string, it would be ONE tonal quality....no difference if you had to switch strings.