Red Mitchell recommendations?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Garagiste, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Someone suggested I listen to his records. I have one recording of “I remember you” with Hampton Hawes which is fantastic. What are your suggested records of his to listen to, as a leader or sideman? Thanks.

2. Otzbass

Otzbass

May 11, 2019
    His stuff with Joe Pass is pretty awesome

Garagiste likes this.
  3. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hampton Hawes, “All Night Sessions, Vol. 1” was perhaps the first recording I heard of Red Mitchell way back when, and to this day is one of my favorite albums (and not just because of Red’s playing either... the interplay between him, Hawes, Jim Hall and Bruz Freeman is fantastic and happens to groove like crazy).

Garagiste likes this.

4. As Damon Smith says this is one of the best jazz duos there is.

This came up in another thread about Red Mitchell a few weeks ago. Some great playing from him in 4ths tuning and features a rare and gorgeous arco solo by him on Stardust.

Garagiste and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Jim Hall Red Mitchell LIVE AT SWEET BASIL'S, Waren Marsh Red Mitchell LIVE AT SWEET BASIL'S...

MLysh, Phil Rowan and Sean Riddle like this.
  6. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    These are both phenomenal, especially the duo with Lee Konitz. I have a new bass hero! Thanks!

7. I'm very fond of the original Hampton Hawes trio with Red Mitchell and Chuck Thompson. I believe they made three records called something like Vol. 1, Vol. 2, and Vol. 3. These records have a great bouncy swing. I find it impossible not to smile while listening to Hawes, just great feel and lines. Oh, and the bass playing is not too bad either.

lrhbass likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021