Red or Brown Tort on this Honey Blonde Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Relsom, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I've ordered a red nitrocelluloid tort guard for this but have the opportunity to switch since delivery to the dealer is being delayed. Seeking opinions as to wait for the red or get an in stock standard brown 3 ply tort guard. What do you think? HO1.jpg

2. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Red metallic flake, or anything but white.

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    I ended up putting this dark wine red pearl pickguard on mine after debating which tort to use. The only torts I found that I really liked were the ones made by Spitfire, and I just couldn't justify that kind of money for what I wanted to put it on. YMMV.

4. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    It's all personal taste, but I prefer bright red on white or blonde. It makes both the bass and the pickguard visually pop. Brown on white looks muddy to me.

Curious though, where did you find red tort in nitrocelluloid? Most new red tort that I've seen is photo or pvc and the nitro stuff is brown or rusty brown at best.

5. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I ordered it on guitarpartsfactoryus' ebay page. Funny though.....I don't see in my order details where it specifies "red" but it was somewhere in the original description. A follow up message from their CS stated they had regular brown and red without nitrate if I wanted to switch. I guess I'll have to wait and see what they sold me to be sure....maybe another reply on my part is in order. I did get a discount though. So far have been very happy with their customer service.

Matt O likes this.
  6. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    If you have a jigsaw and some patience, you can make your own with a $7 sheet of Lexan and any color of spray paint (you paint the underside).

7. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    My mistake apparently. The nitrate guard is more brown than the 3 ply red one that they stock. Comparing my VMP5 & MIJ62RI I favor the red on the 62. They can get one out to me today......I don't really want something capable of bursting into flames anyway. Maybe if I was restoring a vintage instrument....but not on this Highway 1 that I only have a couple of hundred bucks into.

8. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    ....well I think it's an improvement.....
    H1Tort1.jpg

Birdbrain and davedblyoo like this.
  9. I agree, it's a huge improvement! Looks great. I've never liked the plain white guards on anything. The only white guard I've ever left on a bass was the white one ply on my 57' Precision.

Relsom likes this.
  10. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Now that you mention it, looking up, all I see is a stack of white guards. None on any instrument that I own either.
    Guards.jpg