1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Red Ripper vs Prunes n Custard vs Dynamorph

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shadowkast, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Shadowkast

Shadowkast

Aug 20, 2016
    The Dreadfort
    Hello

I'm looking to get a dirty synth sound that can get smooth and funky. For this purpose, I've focused on these pedals but will listen to suggestions.

I'm torn primarily between the RR and the PnC. They both sound great to me. The TWA Dynamorph seems the least appealing of the 3 not because of sound but on the basis of price vs value. It may be far better and I'm just missing something.

Any suggestions on these or other dirty synthy pedals would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Personally I GREATLY preferred the Prunes & Custard over the Red Ripper.

I haven't tried the Dynamorph but it definitely seems like a modded Prunes & Custard with envelope control and a few other extra controls. The price, the jacks both being on one side and the dumb control names have kept me from ordering one. That and I don't hear much in the demos that you can't get very close with the P&C and good control of dynamics.

Hope that helps.

Driven Crane and Shadowkast like this.
  3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    I only own / have tried the P&C so unable to help, but the others do seem more versatile at least.

The CoPilot Orbit, WMD Geiger Counter, Iron Ether Subterranea and Digitech Dirty Robot are worth checking out also!

Shadowkast likes this.
  4. Shadowkast

Shadowkast

Aug 20, 2016
    The Dreadfort
    Big ups to Jared and Dannybuoy, the P n C is working out, and the Dirty Robot is freaking awesome.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Nunovsky likes this.
  5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    The prunes and custard is the one I want. That's all I know :)
    To me it's 'the original' when it comes to this kind of thing - the first one I ever heard.
    Dynamorph to me smells of clone( speaking from a bit of an ignorant place, not having tried it and just going on impression).

6. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    You could add another option as well: the Source Audio Multiwave Bass Distortion.
    I have a Prunes & Custard clone that I absolutely love and I think it's the best in this type of synthy, sweepable fuzzy sound.
    But I had a while back a SA MWBD and recently I started to miss some of the sounds that his pedal does and I just got another one back.
    And it really is a great pedal for synthy sounds. I remember that it didn't like any pedals before it and that was one of the reasons that I led me to sell it, but you can blend your dry signal, have 2 presets to use and it can do so much more than any of these other pedals, like octave up.
    I'm really glad that I got one back.

Shadowkast likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2020