1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Red RIPPER!?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jeffgnr90, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    Sooo I've read a couple of the threads on TB in regards to this pedal and have decided to give it a go. It's been out for a good while now hasn't it? I'll be letting you all know what I think! My plan was for this to replace my sansamp bddi. However i played this at a practice tonight and it sounded great, so now I'm not sure what I'm doing with it lol.

I also read up on the source audio multiwave distortion pedal which seems pretty stellar as well. It seems to be able to do the same thing as the red ripper plus more and for cheaper (i am getting my red ripper for $130). I feel like the multiwave may be to much for me as far as options goes, but I'm the kinda of player that always finds/discovers uses for a pedal. Maybe it'd be more worth it to go with that instead.

Nonetheless i will be trying out the red ripper so stay tuned for those who are also interested!

2. ChanclaKing

ChanclaKing

Feb 19, 2013
    I love my red ripper. My most used distortion for bass. It is really tight sounding and turns my sound into a sort of fuzz synth bass sound. Really awesome.

3. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Another Red Ripper user and fan right here! I use mine for many purposes: synth fuzz, fuzz, powerful 3-band active EQ, Low Pass Filter, lasers and other things.

4. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    Nice! I do look forward to getting something synthy out it for sure

5. truecanadian04

truecanadian04

May 4, 2011
    Canada
    Red Ripper Is a great pedal. Can't go wrong with Tech 21. They make some of the best bass products.

6. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    How do you find it in a live situation? With my sansamp i used mainly two settings, one for grit and and the other for a fuzz type sound. If i find myself in love with this pedal i may get another one so i don't have to worry about changing settings mid song. I guess it is something that's unavoidable though

7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    If the red ripper were a "boutique" pedal in a generic housing with a loud-popping true bypass switch and a street price of $250, it would be the talk of the tb effects forum!

StayLow likes this.
  8. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    I have to agree, the sansamp is a great pedal, can't wait to try them all out!:bassist:

9. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    Hah, I'm not sure I'd be too thrilled with a loud popping :D I know it has a buffered bypass, along with the sansamp, not too sure if I'll put it before or after, but that's delving into a different question, different thread!:smug:

10. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Hey, it's either a loud pop or tone-suck, according to the conventional wisdom.

On a more serious note, I'd put it BEFORE the sansamp, but with the gain on the sansamp set pretty low. Putting the ripper after the sansamp would be kinda like putting it in the effects loop of your amp...

11. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    Loud popping it is then! Haha and thanks for the pointer I'll put it before the sansamp. I might try it after just see what the sound is like, either way the sansamp setting will have low gain. I was actually gonna ask about that, cause i didn't see it asked in the other threads on the pedal. Has anyone tried it going in the power amp, bypassing the eq?

12. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    You should try it ALL. My logic was simply that the Sansamp takes the place of an amp (if you want it to) so it should go at the end of the chain...

13. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    Yea i definitely will, but i like the way everything else sounds with the sansamp at the end of the chain so i may stick with that for the time being

14. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    It's a great pedal. Extremely useful. Absolutely amazing synth tone it puts out. Love that super-tweakable EQ so you don't lose any low-endness. I wish I had more uses for it.

Can anyone compare it with the Prunes & Custard? I've never used a P&C, but I heard one a few weeks ago on YouTube and then watched a few demo videos, they seem similar IMO. Thoughts?

15. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    From what I remember in some of the older threads, this pedal seemed to be "better". What that entails depends on the users ears, but I've heard some good things about the P&C as well as them being similar. I have the same question about that Source Audio Multiwave pro. I heard it does the same plus more, and can be found for cheaper.

16. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I have a red ripper and I love it. I also had a source audio multiwave pro and I hated it. :ninja:
    the MWP was too middy (not in a good way) and its digital processing provided an uncomfortable touch response to my playing (to me, it felt and sounded very unnatural and artificial).

17. jeffgnr90

jeffgnr90

Aug 4, 2011
    See that's the kinda vibe i was getting from the multiwave as well. Like it was too digital.