Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Red Witch God Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DougP, Dec 13, 2005.

1. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i am a big fan of Ben's pedals and his new fuzz box has started shipping recently.

check it out at: http://www.redwitchanalogpedals.com/FuzzGod.html

Ben posted some samples over at the effects forum of harmony central. i dont know if i am allowed to post to their site, so i wont.

this is more than just an ordinary fuzz though. i will definitely have to check this out after the holiday season.

2. Got one on order that just might make it for Christmas Stocking stuffer for me. I too have found great favoritism towards Ben's Red Witch pedals in that there are always a couple of "That's It!" settings in each pedal and a vast territory of exploration through variations that make you work at using the effect in a cool place. OR even write a riff/passage based on the effect. I think I'm going shades on if I try that Diamond White Bright on/off led he put in there though. Blinded by chrome effect's L.E.D., now that would be bio material fluff for sure.
    I'll report here after it arrives with impressions.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'm excited about this pedal too :)

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, dont...

TB doesnt need the STD's... :p

but cool pedal. love my RW phaser.

5. does anyone have a sound clip of it,
    i would love to hear one.

6. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    "Wrath"

Ahahaha, brilliant.

7. looks nice and I bet it sounds freakin good, but I probabliy cant afford one :crying:

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    this guy makes great stuff and this looks very interesting - the battery deal is kind of odd but hey, if it sounds better...

9. Mine arrived on Saturday the 31st, it was just in time for a session but I wisely refrained from unleashing it untried in the studio.
    At first run through I was not very impressed with all controls at 12 o'clock, Wrath not engaged, as there seemed to be some low end drop out. Immediately cured by kicking in the Diamond Custom Bass Compressor and dialing up a little more gain. Like many geetard pedals it requires some serious input to start singing. The fuzz control takes the bass from creamy break up to droning saturated buzz and anywhere inbetween.
    Interestingly the more gain at input the more sonic mayhem the wrath control invokes.
    All the controls become interactive once the fuzz level reaches strong saturation, meaning wrath fully counterclockwise entertains low end oscillation and sub octave undulations, albeit voiced more for guitar than bass it is usable in a strange way. Not sold on the splutter control being useful on bass, it is a very heavy gate sound that squelches attack and thrives on light strokes and chords.
    That being said I did spend about five minutes with the Fuzz God in severe oscillation manipulating the fuzz and wrath controls while a sustained open D was ringing. Theremin like squeals, changing harmonics that sang like sirens, frequency changes, but all through manual manipulation.
    I gotta try this out with a guitar tomorrow at rehearsal.

That's about all I have for now as this one seems to have a lot of option evaluation and tinkering ahead. I love pedals like this that don't give up their secrets easily. I'll try and remember to report back when I learn more about the Fuzz God through trial and error.

Oh yeah once again Ben has this one built like a tank with nice graphics in Gold on the chrome chassis. And the games begin.

10. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    any further updates on this MrBear?

i am getting close to dropping the cash on one of these.

11. Well sort of.......

I am having a problem with my nice, bright, white led that keeps blowing. Not a big deal, and no effect signal wise, and it's not like you can't tell when the RW/FG is on, but it is a feature that I paid for so I have just returned my second malfunctioning unit for service.

Service has been great as I was immediately sent a second unit after the first one was returned to the shop.

Word is that Ben feels it is the led's themselves so replacements are being sent to the shop where the parts swap will occur and then be thoroughly tested before it is shipped back.

The second unit, from the shops original shipment, went out immediately for me so it appears it is a problem in the first batch the shop received. There is a review of the RW/FG over at HC where that user also had led failure.

First time around I was using a Dunlop DC Brick, where the pedals status light worked for almost a week, while the second try was with a Fulltone FPS-1 transformer. Turned it on turned it off turned it on and the led flashed and went dead. Dead led, ....bad dead led. Sorry, I got distracted.

Interestingly enough when I plugged the second RW/FG into the already running DC Brick, just to try one more time, it dimmed the lights on the Brick, didn't light up, and let the Brick return to normal operating state upon it's removal from the power supply. DC Brick continues to perform flawlessy with six other pedals and the power draw is well within limits even with the RTW/FG.

Other than that I like what it can do with bass tone, wished it could give me a little more bottom end frequency range extension when in wrath mode, but I have more experimenting to do, that's always the bugger about extreme interactive controls, takes a while to really get a handle them and most of the time that's where the fun is anyway.

Second pedal should be at the shop tomorrow so if the new led's got there first I'll report back soon and then some more subjective verbage to chew on regarding the effects value with bass, when I can have some time to just play with it some more and find and just what it can and can't do.

12. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    thanks for the info.

perhaps i'll wait a bit to give Ben sometime to get this sorted out then.

you havent happened to try it out on guitar have you?

13. Yes Doug, I tried the Fuzz God with a '68 Les Paul and one of the guitar players Strat's. Both guitars were able to get a lot more out of the Fuzz God, meaning a broader palette of "sounds", than with bass, but I will use it for both, and spend time keeping it away from the strat player mostly as his were the eyebrows that raised the most when he heard it.
    It is very versatile and not a one trick pony.

14. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i am seriously GASsing for one now.

thanks again

15. Problem solved, it was a bad batch of LED's that just crapped out after a few stomps.
    The Fuzz God is back on the board and creating sonic havoc at will again.
    I do have a lot of experimenting to do yet to get a handle on what this pedal can do.
    One bit of sonic insanity that occurs when the Wrath switch is engaged, and you hit a note that starts sustaining and then oscillating, is that the Wrath and Sputter controls can be tweaked interactively in real time allowing dive bombs, squelching, blips and blurps. Probably a very good candidate for the "Third Hand" controller to make it doeable live on stage without having to bend over and tweak.
    So with that said it's off to play with the Fuzz God and see what else I can find that it does.
    Not a set it and forget it pedal by any means.

16. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    ok, it's time for me to start saving again. i just bought a new amp.