Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Red Witch: The Pentavocal Tremolo

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MrBEAR, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Just received my new Pentavocal Tremolo from Analog Tom at http://www.ForMusiciansOnly.com on Monday but I’ve had a few days of plain old messing around with it so I thought a mini-review may be in order.

Here is a link to the Red Witch Pentavocal photo which really does the box justice:
    http://www.redwitchanalogpedals.com/Pentavocal.html

This is another Red Witch product presented in a bitchin’ chrome box with green graphics, etched control names and a bright green status light (which also doubles as a visual speed indicator). Five control knobs, two footswitches, in and out jacks, and a nine volt barrel plug receptacle complete the unit which ships boxed and bagged in a blue denim carrying pouch with instructions.

Control knobs from left to right are Velocity, Depth, Volume, Bottom, and a large rotary five position Voicing selector. Now you also know where the name comes from. Actual name on the unit is “Pentavocal Trem” just to be PC.

Velocity allows you to set the speed of the tremolo from ridiculous beats to an ultra slow throb, well depending on the voicing selected anyway.

Depth controls the depth of the effected sound (manual states “how ironic”.

Volume controls the output from zero to well above unity gain.

I am going to place the copy from the instruction sheet in at this point as they spent some time describing the Bottom control so….
    ”Bottom - Yes – we’ve labeled one of the controls bottom – not out of homage to a British comedy series or to the shapely derrière of the fairer sex, but as a totally new option for tremolo users. The Bottom control allows the user to dial in the amount of mid range and hi frequency cut that occurs as the volume decreases in the trem cycle. Simply put; Turn the bottom control all the way to the left and the volume just increases and decreases as per a normal trem, but set it all the way to the right and you’ll find that as the volume decreases all of the hi end and midrange disappears. You can of course dial in as little or as much of this effect as you like. Turning the Bottom control fully clockwise whilst having the depth fully clockwise also allows you to access an asymmetrical wave whichsounds incredibly pretty at high velocity. Lucky old you.”

Voicing controls 5 differently voiced tremolo settings starting with a high and shimmery (read no bottom end whatsoever) in position I to low and throbbing in position V. The progression is logically voiced and evenly stepped with only the first position being unusable on bass but I bet a Rickenbacker 12 string would sound awesome through that voicing.

Tremulate footswitch brings the effect in and out of the chain and utilizes True Bypass switching.

Lastly there is the Wave footswitch which allows you to jump between a smooth tremolo over to a hard square wave chop with a leisurely click.

As far as a review of the product goes everything works as specified, its built like a tank with gorgeous looks and sounds very full, thick and throbby with my Rickenbacker C64 strung with Pyramid flats.
    The Velocity control allows me to go from a throb so slow you have to look at the light and wait for the throb to come around to stupid fast which would most likely elicit looks of *** was that from fellow players.
    The depth control is dialed in very nicely going from just a titch of effect to swollen throbbing sound within its travel. The wave footswitch is interesting but not at all dramatic. The voicing and bottom controls are what really makes this unit stand out above all others in that it makes it a very versatile effect by offering up so many permutations of “plain old tremolo” that the mind boggles. The Pentavocal Tremolo does what Red Witch says it does, what more can you ask?

In closing this pedal is a keeper for me in that it sounds rich and lush, is a lot of fun, does what it is supposed to do, and gives me the option for something that one doesn’t hear effecting a bass very often, a true head turner when you engage the effect.

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Thanks for the review! I've been looking at these. :)

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Thanks for the review.

I love tremolo and vibrato for those oldies songs. A touch of reverb wraps it all up nicely too. :bassist:

4. My pleasure to share the review guys.

Now waiting for the Tone Core Verbzilla to show up so I can do just that. ;)

5. thats a cool looking pedal!
    i'd like to try it one day!