1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

REDDI compared to Kern IP777?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bongomania, May 1, 2009.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have a REDDI and love it to pieces, but every once in a while I see a Kern for sale and I think about how the rack format is nice and convenient, but so far I haven't had the dough for the Kern right at those times when I'd need it. So have any of you directly A/B'ed them? I don't mean the Basstasters clips, either, but in-person comparison. If so, how did they differ to your ears? Just talking about tone, not EQ/function.
    Thanks!

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    hey B if you see a Kern buy it and then decide because someone else will buy it from you. I've not played the Reddi but the Kern is just so excellent. It is high end audio for bass. It is mil-spec built and will do fat and clear and glassy. It responds well to tube changes. It is designed to be both a DI and a bass pre as opposed to a bass pre and "well let's add this XLR". It has it's own 12uA7 for the DI and two 12aX7s for the pre line out. It has different output gains for each.
    This is just conjecture but after auditioning every pre I could when I first got a Berg IP I would safely assume that they don't sound the same. You like some, you don't like others, two are really different but different shades of great...it goes like that.
    The Summit is great yet it's just different from the Kern. The Glock also designed to do both really well will get sad if I don't plug it here too.:) (the Glock blows away any concept of SS not sounding warm fat etc. and gets gritty if you drive it hard.)