1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

REDDI in the house

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by pbass2, Feb 21, 2008.

1. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Just starting using it---sounds awesome. With the Glaub w/flats it sounds CLASSIC.

2. Well, I just found this post because I'm curious about the REDDI. How do you find it? Also, do you think it'd be a good match for a bass going direct into a pub's sound board?

3. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    How does it stack against a TD100 ?

4. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I do gigs with an engineer with ears of gold.. the guy has a few grammys under his belt so i trust him.. I was using a countryman DI for the longest time.. then one day i took my REDDI.. he asked what did i do to my sound i was sending him... he was floored..... the REDDI sends a huge low extension that was not there before... It is my favorite DI.. it is $$ but well worth it in my opinion... its large too.. but sweet and round.... I like it over the Avalon for my uses..

5. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    What about REDDI vs. UA solo 610? Svt I see on another thread you preferred the REDDI, how so? Just curious, I've kind of had the 610 on my future shopping list for awhile (both for bass and just as a nice pre with some color, considering the 610 vs. the GT brick). I have a feeling I'd like the REDDI better, at least for bass...

What preamp have you used with the REDDI? That REDDI is pretty pricey, but especially when you consider you need a nice pre on it too. I've seen some mention of using it without a pre but I imagine it's better if you have a good one.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've heard of people using these with Neve and Great River preamps and loving it. Supposedly you don't need a mic preamp, running it into a compressor (like an LA-2A or similar) which will boost levels is good too.

I ended up going with a GT Brick over the REDDI just because I wanted a one step solution and I thought the added mic pre on the Brick was neat. I've considered picking up a REDDI and doing a shootout but I'm happy enough with it for now that it probably won't happen anytime soon.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I owned a TD100 for about a year, and while I haven't owned a REDDI I've been avidly reading about them all over the place, so I can tell you a few "theoretical" differences.

The TD100 is designed mostly for "warm clarity", a high-fidelity sound with the ability to add a bit of coloration if you turn up the gain knob. It is actually a bit shy in the lows -not that it loses the lows per se, but that they are relatively lower in level than the mids/highs (somebody here did a pink noise test to confirm that). The TD100 has simultaneous mic-level and line-level outputs, and up to +24dB gain.

The REDDI is designed for tube coloration, not fidelity. Although some people don't hear any relation, Peter at A-Designs says they were trying to capture some of the "flavor" or "response" of an Ampeg B15 amp. One of the most common review comments I see is that it "responds" to the bass in a very "amp-like way", although I'm not 100% sure what that means in reality. The REDDI is not shy in the lows. It has only one output (not counting the "thru"), and is capable of up to +16dB gain.

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    FWIW Fletcher at Mercenary likes the Brick better than the REDDI, although his opinions in general are not shared by everyone. ;)

9. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Lol, I'm so not looking forward to deciding which one to get now... I have a feeling my wallet is going to cry.

10. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I would say "amp like" is very accurrate. It's hard to describe, but it "feels" amp like in it's response.

Speaking of the TD100--it's a great unit, but yes, not as "colored" as the REDDI. But those Summit half-rack units are GREAT. In fact, my front end I'm loving for bass currently is the REDDI, into a Summit 2BA221 mic pre(another half-rack unit like the TD100), with a touch of the Summit TLA50 leveling amp. I'm getting a killer sound(IMHO). I've got the JDI too if I want a more transparent sound, or I can also just use the hi-z on the 2BA-221.
    But, yeah, it's the REDDI that's giving me the best recorded bass tone I've ever had in my own studio.

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    While I admire Fletcher's delivery, I definitely have some differences of opinion with the gentleman. On the other hand I have found that a lot of his calls are pretty good despite (or maybe because of) the bias which comes from decades being a professional studio rat with a budget.

And I can't argue with his store's idea of customer service, that's for sure.

12. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    i liked the REDDI over the 610... The 610 was real nice but not my thing.. I feel the REDDI was bigger sounding ...
    The 610 was very clean as is the REDDI, but the REDDI was just bigger and rounder i feel

13. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'm gonna try the REDDI straight in to my TLA50 (bypassing the Summit mic pre) and see what happens. When I got my REDDI, I talked at length with Peter at A-Designs, and he mentioned that some people using passive basses(as I'm doing primarily) don't think they get enough gain with the REDDI to use it that way, but all I can say is I have to engage the -20db pad on my mic pre when I use it!
    I actually wish in a way the "thru" on it was thru the REDDI circuit, and not bypass. I'd like to use it live and send that sound to my amp!

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    That's something a lot of people have requested. FWIW another TB'er (I think it might have been "Pickles"?) came up with a list of tube DI's where the "thru" jack was post the tube stage. I'll see if I can find that thread.

15. +1 This is what is keeping me from buying one. :(

16. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I wouldn't let that stop ya--man, the thing sounds so good it's crazy.

You COULD of course just use it as a tone box/pre, and run an unbalanced line out of it, and then use another clean DI(or the amp's DI if it has one). Could actually be a nifty thing to try--I may just have to try that with my Markbass combo, as that's such a clean amp (plus, since it's so easy to carry, I wouldn't feel too crazy schlepping around a 2 foot long DI:)

Edit: oh yeah, the Markbass has a balanced XLR input--I forgot about that. Hmmmm . . ..

17. Now you've got me thinking!:D

18. robboy

robboy

Jul 13, 2006
    Boca raton Florida
    I use the Reddi into a DBX 165 and it sounds amazing. The gain is a bit low with a passive bass. I've had to run the Reddi into a mic pre(API or Neve) for just a little more gain and then to the DBX. This gives a great vintage sound that really sits well in a track.:)

19. What I'm thinking about is seeing if I can play through the REDDI and straight into the soundboard at the pubs we play at. One usually plays through the board instead of lugging amps and shtuff around, but I find that my sound quality... well, sucks. Would the REDDI work this way and give me a nice amped sound?

20. I think you should just buy one, then I can come by and try it.:bag: