1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

REDDI or New Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harlon, Mar 12, 2009.

1. harlon

harlon

Jul 13, 2007
    Hi. I posted a question over at the Pickups section about my Peavey Fury http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=525722

After posting that - I had another thought. Considering I have the Fury (92 or 93 USA P clone) with Fralin pups - would it be more productive to get a new MIA P (I would probably buy used) or a REDDI and keep the Peavey? Keep in mind, I'll only use it for recording. I currently plug direct into my Focusrite Saffire FW interface. I've never been satisfied with my bass tone. Vocals and guitars I'm ok with - but not the bass. But I'm not sure if it's the bass or the interface.

I know it's subjective, but I am curious what are your thoughts? BTW - I'd like a vintage tone if it makes any difference.

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    There's no better DI for bass than the REDDI. And while its not going to provide dramatic "night and day" coloration to your bass tone, it is going to give you all the tone your bass is capable of producing. I would start there. If you find out that the bass itself is the weak link in the chain, you will have no problem flipping your REDDI here.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Not to be a contrarian, as Testing1two makes some good points, but I have another view.

What goes in matters as much or more than the chain (GIGO principle--garbage in garbage out). The chain matters, but the source matters more.

Maybe your Focusrite Saffire FW interface is not very good. I don't know. Maybe a Reddi would make things better, but I can postulate this: as nice as a Peavy Fury may be, it is not really a P-bass, especially when compared to the 2008 new American Standards (YMMV).

BTW, a Countryman type 85 DI has always served me well, live and in the studio. No sound person or engineer has ever said, "Wait, don't use the country man, try this Reddi or JDI or Saffire FW interface instead."

My point is: Get a great bass tone, then get a good DI. If you are convinced it is not the bass, get a Countryman, Reddi, or JDI. :ninja:

4. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I use my REDDI quite religiously and it's the best DI out there for bass IMO, but if the Peavey is your ONLY bass, and you've got the dough for a REDDI, my two cents is, get another bass. As good as it is to have a killer boutiquey piece like the REDDI, I think options are always the best bet (unless they're all REALLY terrible:). Heck for the price of a REDDI you could get another nice used bass and get also a JDI to have on hand so you know you've got a world-class DI in your bag of tricks.

5. harlon

harlon

Jul 13, 2007
    Wanted to bump this and see if I could get a few more opinions. Thanks to those have already chimed in!

6. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    All i use is my REDDI for all recording and some live but always recording.. i can say that i have never used a better DI in 30 years.. Im now running BASS> REDDI by A-Design> A-Design Mic Pre > Protools...great signal chain right?

But if you send it a turd signal it will make it more noticeable that you are sending it a turd.... not than a PV bass is bad. I have heard some great players getting killer sounds from PV basses..

Start off with a great tone and you will have a better , bigger tone on the way out...
    I dont believe in the Fix it in the mix rubbish..
    I say get it right upfront.
    So although i would love to tell you to get REDDI... I think it would best off for you to get a bass that sounds exactly the way you want it in every way.. after that then get the REDDI and you will be in sonic heaven...

But start with a good solid tone in the beginning... First thing is to get a good bass that you really enjoy... then worry about stuff down the line..

just my opinion take it with a grain of salt..

7. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    I would always start with the bass. A REALLY nice DI won't and shouldn't solve your tone issues in most cases. They serve a specific function to basically convert an unbalanced to balanced signal. I would put the bass and technique at the top of the list, maybe you should try out some different strings. That makes a huge difference IMO and is much cheaper. After that I would then look at your preamps and converters and try a radial or country man ($175-200). I would only buy a REDDI if I was doing a BUNCH of recording. I do record a bunch and I haven't gotten around to buying one yet but I do have a couple of summit and radial DI's. Not sure if I will buy one. There is so much else gear to get before I spent that much on a DI.

What do you not like about your tone? That info would help answer the question. The REDDI could be the answer but you would probably have to rule out the rest of the chain first.

8. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    I agree with most of what's been said here. A REDDI makes all of my basses sound better to be sure. But if you're trying to get a classic P sound, get a P. And also, fwiw, don't rule out a Japanese P or even a Mexi for that matter. For less than a REDDI you can score a great P here on TB. All that aside, I dig my REDDI!

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Are you trying to get the classic P bass tone? If so, get a P bass and the countryman. The REDDI wasn't around when all those classic hits where made, the countryman was.

Disclosure: I don't own a REDDI, I bought some P basses instead :D

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Misleading--there were loads of tube-based and transformer-based DI's used on "those classic hits".

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Agreed! I should have been more careful in my wording.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Of course you're right to imply that a nice P bass through a Countryman will get better results than a crummy wrong-toned bass through a REDDI. :)

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just get both...you know you want it!