1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

REDDI Recording Question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by joek8, Aug 8, 2012.

1. joek8

joek8

Aug 8, 2012
    Hello everybody, I'm a still bit of a beginner with the whole recording thing and I was wondering if anybody could help me out with a conundrum I'm having with recording my bass. My equipment is as follows:

Music Man bass with active pickups --> Reddi direct box --> M-Audio Mobile Pre audio interface USB --> PC running Cubase 5

My problem is that when recording with the Reddi it sounds fantastic, but I'm getting pops, clicks, and crackles on the recording. This does not happen when I use my SansAmp bass DI with the same set up.

Of my equipment, my Mobile Pre audio interface is the "lowest end" component. I'm thinking that its preamp isn't quite handling the output of the Reddi? Would a better preamp going out from the Reddi and then into the Mobile Pre before going into the PC solve my problem? I guess one of my main issues is that I don't know how to gauge a preamp's quality in terms of supporting a signal like the Reddi.

Alternatively, would a better audio interface possibly solve my problem? If I got one with a "better" preamp? I don't have a firewire input, and would like to stick with USB.

Or maybe there's something here that I haven't thought of that one of you awesome dudes can come up with! Any and all comments or ideas are appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance!

-Joe

2. Denyle Guitars

Denyle Guitars

Nov 30, 2005
    MD
    The Reddi has a hot output. You may want to buy an inexpensive inline pad to put between the Reddi and your interface.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The REDDI's output can be dialed back with the level knob ;) No need for a pad. Unlike a tube amp, the REDDI doesn't sound better when you crank the level. I usually have my REDDI set between 9:00 and 10:00 to get its output right with my recording gear.

4. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    From my own limited experience, it sounds like you're clipping the input of your interface. Turn the REDDI level down a touch, and/or turn down the preamp gain on the mbox.

5. joek8

joek8

Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks so much for the replies guys! The inline attenuator pad is definitely something I will try. I tried lowering the input knob on the Reddi, but to no avail. I tried it at 9 (where I usually had it), then at 8 and I still had the same problem. The clips were even there when the Reddi was totally turned down! I don't think turning it down totally turns it off though. I also had the preamp knob pretty low, to the point where my recorded output was well below line level. In fact, the pops somehow seemed worse today for some reason. When I first got the Reddi, I was able to record a 3 minute song with only a few annoying pops throughout, but now they seem constant. It almost has me worried that its an electrical problem, which I hope its not because I know very little about that stuff, ha!

I also noticed that I get NONE of these sounds from the headphones out of the M-audio. Its only happening when the "monitor" function is on in Cubase and it of course comes out on the recordings. I don't know if this means it has something to do with the USB input? Then again, I've never had this issue with any devices before the Reddi.

Here is a link to a 10 second mp3 of me playing straight from my bass to the Reddi to the USB m-audio interface.
    Please feel free to give it a listen and tell me what you think. Any other insight would be extremely helpful. I will continue to try troubleshooing. Thank you again guys!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17641221/talkbass.mp3

-Joe

6. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    Sounds like buffer underruns.
    Are you using any VST effects while recording? If so, turn them all off.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Does sound like buffer overruns but what I don't get is why it happens with the REDDI and not with the Sansamp. This is one thread I'm now very interested in the outcome.

8. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    I have a feeling that a setting or something else changed around the same time, and the OP would have the same problem with either pre now.

9. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The M Audio interface's line level inputs are the 1/4" jacks. The XLR jacks are for mic level and this may be the issue. You should still be able to make it work by turning down gain on the front of your interface and reducing the level of the Reddi.

If the M Audio isn't clipping it's probably a problem in Cubase. I use Cubase 5 and there is an input level setting in the main mixer view. That is set independently after your interface. Are you making sure you are not overloading Cubase? The clip light will come up in red at the bottom of either the channels fader or the master fader in Cubase. How do your wave files look and do you know the overall level of the tracks? You don't need to record super hot in that program. It will work against you.

10. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    ^^^ Just another reason to love Tech 21.

11. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    According to the reddi manual it's max output is +22dbu. It appears to me that it's not a mic level output like most DI's
    Passive DI's usually have like -30db or even lower at the XLR output.

I would try an XLR to TRS out of the reddi and use a line In on interface instead of going thru a pre amp and see what you get. The reddi can prob be used as a pre and plug directly to a power amp and it would drive it no problem. I think you are effectively pre amping your signal twice.

The BDDI can as well if you switch the outputs from inst to line level.

Also having the active tone controls cranked up will add to the problem.

Active circuits increase the level of course and are a low impedance, where as passive instruments are lower level and high impedance.

Hey Jimmy, what do you run your reddi XLR out into when playing live with it?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The PA.

13. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    If there are pops and clicks.. Like some said ealier it may be buffer under run on your DAW... Should be able to set that in parameters in Cubase.
    I usually run my REDDI at 12 o clock simply for the ease of knowing where it is . Not like 10:30 or something .. Just straight up at noon.
    Im experimenting with a new RME interface but my main one for a few years has been a Presonus Fire Studio Project.. Work and sound great... and im used to it...
    If i run into Chan 1 or 2 of the Presonus i can clip easily.. But i always go into 3 and up since those are LINE level in and require additional preamping.
    Either Mic or LINE in can be clipped by the reddi and or reddi and additional outboard preamp.. But that would show up on the input LED of my Presonus..
    If your clip lights are coming on at the input of your USB device it is most likely happening on the Cubase channels too. you will see it in your meters...and its a nasty grizzly clip...
    But intermittent pops and clicks sound more like the buffer thing...
    Or a bad connection somewhere...

BUT.. big but.. in winter months i have gotten faint pops and clicks in my audio path only when playing my P bass and when slapping.. Turns out it was static electricity of my hands touching the vinyl PG... but only in dry winter months..