1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

REDDI Sound Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by svtman, Jun 13, 2012.

1. svtman

svtman Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Hey Guys,

My REDDI just came in today. I'm very impressed with its build quality. Looks great.

I wanted to test it out and see how it sounded compared to a dry signal coming from my AVRI 62 Jazz. I plugged the REDDI's output into one of the inputs on my Apogee Duet, and the thru 1/4" into the other input.

I just (quickly) recorded a couple little examples to listen to. One is finger style and the other is picked. After I got done recording them, I was kind of astounded that I couldn't really hear a discernible difference. I'm listening through Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, but they are aging and not as great as they once were, and maybe they are the problem. Can you guys tell a difference? The first part is finger style and its first piece is through the reddi. When it repeats, it is dry through the Duet. The second piece is picked, and again, REDDI first, dry second.

Thanks,

svtman

Attached Files:

2. I had the same thing last night doing the same with an Avalon U5 into an M-Box Mini into ProTools. The U5 however is designed to be very clean, while the REDDI is designed to add color, so you should hear more of a difference in your case...

With the M-Box Mini you cannot bypass the built in preamps, so I was essentially running U5 into the M-Box pre (which isn't great) and the thru was straight to the M-Box pre, I could hear a bit of a difference, but not substantial, I thought maybe the M-Box pre after the U5 was causing the two to sound more similar than they should have...

Are you able to bypass the pre on the Apogee to go direct to the DAW?

Benny4P likes this.
  3. Listening to your clips there is an audible difference between the two, it just isn't drastic like you said. Those kind of small differences become more apparent at louder volumes through a decent PA or quality monitors, but also don't expect a night and day difference, the added tube tone is a subtle difference IMO

4. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    OK here's a dumb question, but I've had people tell me both ways...how do you pronounce REDDI? Is it like "Reedy", "Ready" or is it like "Red DI"? Sorry for the hi-jack...but I gotsta know.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It's pronounced Ready, as in ready to go. I asked the same thing in the REDDI megathread, and that's what Peter said.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    So I just tried the same thing with my REDDI, and the same thing happened...very little difference in sound if at all, I thought. The one thing I had to do was bring down the level of the XLR track because of the 1965 NOS tube I just put in, but other than that I'm very hard pressed to tell the difference.

8. I borrowed a REDDI, an SVT-DI and a sansamp paradriver, I have an Avalon U5 and a JDI, I plan on doing this same test with all of them to see which I prefer best... I'll post some clips when I get a chance

9. in these recordings there is a clear difference

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I look at the waveforms of each track I just did, and darn do they look close. Somehow or another, the XLR side of the REDDI is cross pollinating with the 1/4" out instead of doing a simple pass-thru.

11. svtman

svtman Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2011

Hmm maybe a better test for me would be to just do one track out of the reddi and then one into the duet. Not through the thru jack.

12. yeah maybe use another DI before the REDDI to split the signal

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If you have a straight up no frills DI to put in front of the Apogee like a Countryman or Radial, that would be a good thing to try too, but yeah, try plugging it into the Apogee directly.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK, got it figured out...you're not supposed to stick the XLR in one channel of a device and the 1/4" in the other of the same device ;)

I pulled out my Precision again and tried plugging and unplugging the 1/4" out that was also plugged into the soundcard while the XLR remained in the jack and recorded the XLR. Sounded great with the 1/4" out not plugged in, but every time I plugged it in, the volume got brought down and the treble got reduced...in short, it sounded way closer to the bypassed 1/4" signal than the XLR signal when I had them both plugged in. Every passive bass I tried had the same thing happen.

But when I used a couple basses loaded with EMG active pickups, this didn't happen. The signal stayed consistent whether the 1/4" was plugged into my soundcard or not. So I thought that it could be some sort of weird impedance reaction with passive pickups when you plug both outputs into the same device. To test it, I busted out my Precision and Micro VR, and plugged the 1/4" out into the input of the Micro VR, then plugged and unplugged it and recorded the XLR channel with my soundcard. Sure enough, the REDDI performed perfectly, with no drop in volume or loss of treble.

So bottom line is you can't plug both the XLR and 1/4" into the same recording device (or at least our recording devices...some might be better equipped to deal with it) using a passive bass without loading the pickups down, but you can plug the XLR into your recording device and the 1/4" into a separate device like an amp and it will work as intended. On the other hand, why the hell would you want to use anything but the XLR when recording anyway? ;) Anyway, plug in only the XLR out into your Apogee and you will hear what you paid for.

Thanks for starting this thread...I sure learned a lot, even if I had to go and find all the information myself the hard way. Better go edit out all the stuff that may make me look dumb while I was guessing what the problem was ;)

15. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I listened to the clip through 2 sets of speakers--one a 2.1 with sub, the other a set of desktop computer speaks.

To my ears the first one (REDDI) had maybe 20% more girth and complexity, with the middle scale notes sounding more supported. That said, the girth could be perceived as slowness or flab--depending on the mix context you might need to high-pass it. I'd be interested in hearing the tonal difference with a really strong signal like a G&L MFD or hot P-Bass pickup. Also curious what a good passive transformer DI would sound like.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sorry guys, edited out some more stuff that would make me look dumb.

Winston, check out my clips in post 6 of this thread. We figured out what was happening with the REDDI (explained in the post above yours), and the clips I have in post 6 are of a P with flats and a Fender 62 CS P pickup comparing the REDDI and a Countryman Type 85. Not exactly what you were looking for but should give you a much better idea of the difference.

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Jimmy, does the REDDI have a phase switch? If so, try the same thing but with the phase reversed and see what it does.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    No phase switch, Skies. But if it was the phase, wouldn't it also happen with EMG's? I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with impedance loading on the pickups being the answer.

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I would think impedance is the correct answer, but I'm always looking for options. Phase would really only be likely when playing the two recordings together, getting cancellation, or if you were to blend the two into one track for the noticed weakening of sound.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, that really wasn't the problem as it happened even when the tracks were played separately. But always good to ask questions...don't ask, won't know. Plus as little as I know about this stuff, it's good to have a spotter.