Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rediscovering how much a bass rocks..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    So yeah, after collecting some dust while I tinkered w/ other basses, I recently rediscovered the sweetness of a custom I have. It's a Sage custom (serial #001) made by Justin Welcome, a Hamer luthier, in 1979. It has Lane Poor soapbar pickups and a 3-band seymour duncan eq w/ a push pull slap switch. I keep the onboard eq relatively flat and this bass just SINGS. It has a beautiful ash top w/ walnut (i think) in spots and plays really well. Very consistent volumes between slap and fingerstyle changes and sounds marvelous. Only downside is it weighs a TON. But weight = good tone in this case :p I'm so glad I didn't end up selling it when it was for sale.. haha..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Never heard of it, is he still in business? Looks great.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    A custom. With Lane Poors.

And it was just there collecting dust? What kind of man are you!?!? :mad:

:D J/k. Nice one.

4. rwelcome

rwelcome

Jan 26, 2005
    That bass is a prototype from Sage Guitars. I know because I built it. www.sageguitars.com

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Well then...you do damn nice work friend;) I bet that bass is a mutha!

6. rwelcome

rwelcome

Jan 26, 2005
    P.S. I made the bass in 1998, and seeing as how you can't get the Lane Poor pickups anymore, I think it's safe to say they're like gold. Thanks to all who apreciate the work. I can't say enough how cool it is to see the bass again, like seeing an ols friend. I never really took good pics of it when it was complete, whic kinda sucks. If you ever want a logo slaped on the headstock send it to me and I'll put one on, and send it back for free, and take some pics while I have it.

7. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Nice! I had a similar experience recently. I have a custom that I had not played in a while that I took to a gig last week. I had forgotten how nice it sounds (it is all mahogany with custom pickups, good mwah), but I was also reminded why I stopped playing it. The action is really high, even with the bridge adjusted to the lowest possible height. This was the first electric I had built when I made the switch from double bass, so it fit me well back then, but it is too hard to handle now.

8. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    Hi Ryan!

I didn't realize you were a TB member. We exchanged emails a year or so ago about a bass of yours that was for sale through an online dealer. It was a beautiful bass and though I didn't buy it, I still think about it from time to time (and still have the photos of it on my hard drive).

You do beautiful work, my friend, and you're a nice guy to boot! Hope things are going well for you.

Peace,
    Michael