1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rediscovering the tonal versatility of my L2500

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by eastcoasteddie, Sep 27, 2008.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    As the title suggests, my L25oo completely mew me away today.

I usually kept all my controls in one or 2 arrangements, that's it. Kept either both or only the bridge pup on, in parallel, maybe single coil if I felt saucy.

I never throught of using it in passive mode...never. I always figured, it's an active bass, keep the power on!

Today I was just futzin' around and hit the passive switch, single coils...holy crap! this thing sounds amazing!!! Both pups, bridge pup, neck pup...they all sound great. In active mode, the single coils drove me nuts with the humming. In passive, it's almost nonexistant. I think I found a new bass in my L2500!

I've been yearning for a Jazz bass so I bought a Squire Deluxe Active Jazz V. It sounds and feels fantastic.
    The L2500 in singe coil/passive sounds like it has more of that classic Jazz tone than the Squire, though.

So now I'm thinking of defretting the Squire since also want a Jazz Fretless...and it seems that I've had a fretted Jazz bass hiding in the G&L all this time...

DSC_0593.

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does your L2500 use the outer coils or inner coils when in single coil mode?

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    outer coils

4. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    man, that is one sexy bass . . .

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Huh...yours looks like a "flat top," whereas mine is contoured on top...tho it doesn't show a lot in this pic...
    Either way, ash bodied G&L's slam!

L25K-1.

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    yes, it is a flattie. But I've never seen another...why?
    (also took a LOT of getting used to...it used to hurt my arm!)

7. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Chef, you're killin' me with that bass. I let one just like it get away a couple years ago and it still bums me out.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    ;)

9. palmann

palmann

Sep 3, 2006
    Germany
    My cherry burst L-2000 is one, too:
    attachment.

Gruesse, Pablo

10. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    So which switch is it that gives you single coil? And is this feature exclusive to the American made L2500 vs the Tribute?

11. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Some instruments have a third (middle) position on the series/parallel switch for single coil operation. Some USAs come with it, I think. None of the Tributes do. That said, it's not a terribly difficult mod, and the switch is $17 from Digikey. I'm upgrading my Tribute to have that function right now (going for inner coils).

12. FookFookFook

FookFookFook

Feb 10, 2008
    What exactly might that component be?

13. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Yes please, do share. Is it simply a triple switch? Any chance you could share a wiring diagram?

14. deggial

deggial

May 27, 2008
    Athens, Greece
    Yes, you install a three-position switch and solder some connections. There's a .doc in the sticky FAQ of this section describing the process.

15. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    https://home.comcast.net/~carol7david/GL_Wiring.doc

The link is also in the FAQ.

I finished it a couple of nights ago, and it works/sounds great.

Be sure to get the exact switch specified in the instructions...it's a unique configuration.

16. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Thanks! I didn't even think to look in the FAQ... the question wouldn't be frequently asked for me, I didn't even know it was possible! :)

So it gets indexed on Talkbass, the switch part number is Digi Key CKN1139-ND for the three position 4PDT switch.