Rediscovering Your Gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Benner, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Hi All,

I just had a unique situation come up the other day where 2 to 3 things all fell into place that made me Rediscover my Gear,……………… and it was awesome!!!

Monday, it all started off with a fresh set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings on my EBMM Stingray 5 that I installed after giving the bass a good wipe down.

Tuesday, a stop in with my teacher who tweaked the truss rod, bridge saddle height & intonation just ever so slightly and had it playing like a dream.

Wednesday, I head to a band practice with my alt rock original band that was rescheduled so we’re in a different room and I’m asked to bring my amp, a Markbass CMD 102P.

Now, we’re learning some of the singers older tunes off of MP3’s he’s emailed to the rest of the band so I find the easiest thing to do is to bring my Zoom B1on and plug my iPhone into the AUX in for the band to reference if needed. I plug my bass into the B1on, add a little compression, tune up and away we go for the first 30mins of the 3hr rehearsal. I think the B1on is a great sounding unit but I'm used to it (I use it for 90% of all rehearsals) and I'm getting lazy with my technique due to "leaning" on the compression.

After that, we don’t need the reference MP3's, so I unplug the B1on and plug my bass direct into the amp.

Fresh strings, great set up plugged direct into the CMD 102P and things come alive!!! What is GAS? I don't know because I’ve got my dream rig & tone for the next 2.5hrs of this rehearsal!!

Bass EQ set flat at the center detents, pickup selector in the Coils 1+2 (toward the neck) position, amp set flat (EQ at 12 o’clock with filters off), gain @ 12 o'clock and master volume @ 9 o’clock. Reasonably loud drummer, 1x electric guitar using a 1x12 tube combo & a singer with an acoustic guitar running through the PA. Things come alive even more a little later on as I bump up the gain to just shy of 1 o'clock.

I rediscovered my gear!!! I put this thread in the AMPS forum because I was most impressed with the Markbass combo. Full, even sound! No harsh treble, mainly due to my pickup position on the Stingray - the Coils 1&2(toward the bridge) would have had too much super highs for this band situation. The lack of compression (as I tend to use with the Zoom and various other pedals) made me really concentrate and be aware of how I was attaching each note and to go really, really easy on the open B string to make sure things rang out clean & clear but sounding huge!!!

I couldn't help but feel like a pro! I'm not, I'm a weekend warrior at best, but having this great sound and the ability to control it and manipulate it with just my fingers & technique really surprised me. And best of all, my gear just came alive and I couldn't be happier.

For now. :)

Cheers,

Benner

Note: IMG_4349 is my setup at home. IMG_4599 & 4602 is my CMD 102P set up at this particular rehearsal space beside the drums. I had already packed away my bass when I took the photo at the end of the night.

Attached Files:

2. Glad you are happy with your gear. :thumbsup: I also have no gas. One bass for 20 years.
    I thought this was going to be about finding your stolen gear and trying to get it back.
    I was getting ready to order some tacos. drool

Bugeyed Earl likes this.
  3. Richie Se7en

Richie Se7en Presently distractivated Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Shadow of South Philly
    I just ordered a CMD102 Combo on Sunday and it's on the way. I can't wait to hear it vs. my '96 SWR Workingman 12, which seems to digress as I progress as a player. Thinking of adding a 102 Traveler cab - just in case, and... well, because I want to. ;)

I considered adding a 12" or 15" - but the majority say the 2 10's are a better match for a full MB rig setup. My local GC doesn't stock much bass-related stuff (discrimination, I say), and I've plugged into the 102 Combo, which was perfection personified (aside from my playing). The only MB cab they had was a 410, which I think is overkill for me. Plus, I was worried that the 5,000 guitars would start falling from the walls... maybe that wouldn't have been a bad thing?:D

4. Awesome to hear Richie Seven and Primo! My suggestion,..... stick with the CMD 102 Combo without an extension speaker cab for awhile as you might be surprised what it can do on it's own.

Coming from a SWR Workingman 12 user myself, I was always drooling over the SWR Redhead 2x10 combo. Now that SWR is gone, the Markbass CMD 102 seemed like the amp for me.

Cheers, Benner

5. The first thing that this reminded me of was that I spent years playing bass with really cheap bodged together gear before I realized that I had already owned a really great bass amp for years.

The first time I used the fender super twin for bass I knew what I had missed for so many gigs while it sat in my garage.

6. I love rediscovering my gear! I have a closet full of cases of guitars and basses, and I'll go looking for one bass and open a case and find another bass I completely forgot I had! Or were you not being literal? ;)

Yeah - I like taking out old basses or amps or pedals, and plugging them in and just enjoying the heck out of them wondering why I haven't been playing that setup all the time. :)

7. Richie Se7en

Richie Se7en Presently distractivated Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Shadow of South Philly
    Thanks, Benner... you make a good point. That combo did surprise me on it's own, and I didn't crank it up too, too much. On the other hand, paired with that 410 it was like on steroids against other stuff I've tried. I'll have a better idea on Friday when I play around with it.

8. I had a similar experience when I plugged my old EB-0 (which I rarely play anymore) into my Walkabout combo for the first time. I was simply dumbfounded, I've never heard this bass sound as good with any other rig. What a great feeling! Now that I think about it, I've never played it through my B1on either ;)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021