Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Redlined Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vorago, May 24, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm having serious gass for a fretless Fender MIA Jazz bass, sunburst finish, and RED lines :cool: Seriously, I think dark red lines combined with a dark fretboard would make a great combination. If anyone here has pics of fretless basses with red lines, please post 'em here :) I remember a JPfretless with red lines, but I can't find the pic.

Cheers

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    There's a thread in the Luthier's Forum here, about a Carl Thompson knockoff bass. Lines are red and maple I think.

3. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    There is one down side to having the dark lines. If you still use them for reference, they are very hard to see on stage. I had a Ken Smith Burner fretless that had a dark rosewood fretboard and dark colored fret lines. Unless there was a spot light on me, the lines were useless.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yup. Here's my old Hill that had purpleheart lines on the 2,4,6 etc. lines. In good light they look great (first pic), but in not-so-bright light, they're hard to see (second pic).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I also think the less prominent fret markers look a lot better, but they're not very functional. If you're going to have custom work done on the fretboard anyway, you might want to try the approach I took.

My Modulus needed to have the board levelled. I'm usually a DIY'er, but this was a job that I felt it best to have done by a pro.

The bass originally had white lines and dots on the board. I didn't like the starkness of it. From just a few feet away, even a trained eye would have had a hard time telling it was fretless...............

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    ...........so when I had the board levelled and epoxy coated, I also had the dots removed and the lines painted to match the color of the cocobola top, leaving 1/4" of the lines white along the top side of the neck. Work was done by HG Thor Guitarlab . The bass is currently on it's way back to me, due Friday. I am absolutely thrilled with the looks of the work from the pics he sent me - can't wait to hear this thing! :hyper:

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My Zon has redwood lines. I can see them in most conditions, but on a very dark stage, they are hard to see.

[​IMG]

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You know Jeff, I almost posted a picture of your bass, but I remember getting a ":mad: :D" the last time I posted it before you got the chance. ;)

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D

I must have been in a bad mood that day.:D