1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Redoing a Jazz bass's wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    My Jazz is currently wired vol/blend/tone, but I never, ever find myself using the volume knob. I learned on upright, so all the dynamic changes had to come from the fingers. I'm wondering if there would be anything more useful to me in a passive set up (with a Basslines humbucker in the neck).

I was thinking perhaps doing the rewire as blend where the volume knob is, tone where the blend knob is, and a series/parallel switch in the last position.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Thanks a ton.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I see no reason you couldn't make the alteration. Only you can determine if it's of use to you and you'll know when your there. I assume the bass is already passive but if not, going to passive in and of it itself may make some difference.

You could also drop the blend, put in a pair of push-pull volumes, a pair of HB's, and have series/parallel for each pup and have it humbucking for each pup used alone.

3. If you leave the volume at full all the time then I cannot see why your suggestion would not work well for you. I can tell you that the Series/Parallel mod is awesome on a passive bass.