Redoing a Jazz bass's wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    My Jazz is currently wired vol/blend/tone, but I never, ever find myself using the volume knob. I learned on upright, so all the dynamic changes had to come from the fingers. I'm wondering if there would be anything more useful to me in a passive set up (with a Basslines humbucker in the neck).

I was thinking perhaps doing the rewire as blend where the volume knob is, tone where the blend knob is, and a series/parallel switch in the last position.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Thanks a ton.
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I see no reason you couldn't make the alteration. Only you can determine if it's of use to you and you'll know when your there. I assume the bass is already passive but if not, going to passive in and of it itself may make some difference.

You could also drop the blend, put in a pair of push-pull volumes, a pair of HB's, and have series/parallel for each pup and have it humbucking for each pup used alone.
  3. If you leave the volume at full all the time then I cannot see why your suggestion would not work well for you. I can tell you that the Series/Parallel mod is awesome on a passive bass.