1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Redoing an old 2x15 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-bottom, Aug 20, 2012.

1. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    So I have an old Fender 2x15 cab with one speaker in it that's just sitting around.
    I'm playing in two bands now, so I'm thinking about fixing this one so that I'm not lugging my stack all over hells creation.

What is that best way to approach this and where should I even start? thanks

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Which old Fender cab ?

3. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    To be honest with you I have no idea. I bought it about 5 years ago used. I believe that it is from the 70's though

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yeah, need to know which cabinet, or post a pic.

If it's the model that has the speakers aligned vertically, a 2x4 brace going from between the speaker cutouts to the back wall and a shelf port along the bottom, I used to have one. I don't remember the exact measurements but it's size and tuning is in a ballpark where a few replacement models will drop in and work pretty good. Whatever it is will benefit from lining the inside with quilt batting layered up 1" - 1-1/2" thick.

If it's that one, about 3 different models will pretty much drop in. The Legendcb158, kappalite 3015 and Faital 15pr400.

All of those will have good power handling and smooth sound in the lows. The Legend being the warmer sounding one, not so much topend. The kappalite more mid punch, upper mid cut-through. The Faital the brightest but also likely smoothest topend.

I think my cab was tuned around 50hz or so, not sure though.

5. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    Thanks man. Yea the speakers are lined up vertically in it.

If I have time this week to get to it I'll try to snap some pics.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd take some measurements just to be sure I'm thinking of the same cab here, it was a long time ago, but, if the tuning falls pretty much anywhere between 40 and 50, there a few that will pretty much just drop in, or only need a minor modification to the port to shape the lowend to your liking.

Any of those have good spl, can handle a fairly large amp and fill a room without getting farty.

7. Does the speaker itself say Fender Model 15F? If so, it's actually an Electro-Voice 15 and a pretty good speaker. Too bad you don't have the other one.

8. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    When I bought it the speakers were already replaced with JBL's. I took the one out and put it into a single 115 cab because the 2x15 was a pain to haul around.

Now that cab is long gone and I feel like breaking my back once again with the 2x15.