Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Redrilling Bridge ?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Is this reasonable?
    I have a spare adjustable bridge with threads on the top half.

Can I thread it into the bottom half and reverse the adjuster’s direction without problems?

My reason for doing this is for a full circle pu. I have tried the full circle both ways (on a different bass) and I think I prefer the sound of it facing the strings as opposed to the body. I get more articulation out of it facing up it seems.

Kevinlee

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
  3. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Ok....But why exactly....Just so I know why this is a bad idea.

kevinlee

4. Simply because the diameter of the unthreaded end of the adjuster is is about 1/4". A 1/4" x 20tpi tap (the size of the full circle threads) would just about slide into the existing holes in the bridge feet. To cut theads in the bridge feet, you would need holes no larger than about 3/16".

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    And if you drill out, glue in a dowel, and re-tap, the threads will not hold. Been there, done that, then cut a new bridge...

6. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I see.... thanks.

Kevinlee

7. Anybody ever try putting a Helicoil in a stripped bridge thread?

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You mean there is a valid application for D'Addario strings?

9. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    Could cutting a new bridge be cutting the feet off of another bridge and drilling them out?

10. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Arnold,
    Have your tried using the thin super glue to strengthen the thread? I do this and run the the wheels in and out a few times...quickly :)
    Kevin I wouldn't recommend that you do it. By the time you buy the tap, make a jig for the bridge, drill the holes, and screw it up a couple of times, you'd been better off seeing your luthier.