1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reduce new string "clangyness"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Im not to fond of brand new strings as they sound too clangy and zingy. I prefer the more broken in sound as this is when they sound thick and full.

Is there anything I can do to speed this process up or better yet get strings broken in instantly?

2. Boil them, I guess?

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Buy flatwounds.

4. Dont those sound dead or at most muffled?

5. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Play the @#$% out of 'em after you put them on. I had this same problem so I switched from DR strings, which are amazing in that they keep that new string zing for so long, to GHS Boomers. The Boomers deaden fairly quickly and sound great for a long time.

6. no. If you don't like clang, you probably don't want rounds.

7. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    No, they sound thumpy without any clank. And they last forever.

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, if you're serious about this, I have a solution. Its the exact opposite of boiling strings, which brings them back to life for a while.

Put a little (very little) petroleum jelly on your finger tips and wipe the petroleum jelly on the strings. Then wipe the strings with a cloth. This is VERY effective so its important not to over do the jelly or you'll be boiling your new strings just to get them back to life. I've done this for many years if I need to have a broken in sound for a session or certain music where the new string sound isn't appropriate.

Again... Start with just a VERY small amount, and spread it evenly on the strings, then wipe down the strings and finger board.

9. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    That's not true, I don't like excessive clang, but I like the feel and sound of a nice used set of rounds.

Oh, and never boil them. That actually cleans all the grease and grime (bits of you, yum) out of the strings and restores some of the zing to them for a very short time.

I saw in another post you were looking for advice for an A string. Are you playing drop A? If so, you can increase the tension on the A by making the other strings thinner too. I did this for awhile and it worked great. I had a .130 A but the E was .095, A at .75, and D at .60, a customized set of DR Hi Beams that I had worked in nicely. Great feel and tone and the drop A wasn't floppy but had a good feel to it.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dunlop strings sound broken in from the start.

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    When I was useing Dean markley blue steels Id spend about 20-30 minutes at a time just playing them heavy for a couple days. Just to get that extra brand new really really trebly top off them. Today Id just more lower the preamps treble control for similiar effect to broken in sound. Lol.

12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I'd also suggest trying flats. Some are very deep and thuddy and others have a brighter character that's fuller than your average flats and with better articulation but without the zinginess of rounds.

If you want that brighter sounding tone, I've tried both TI Jazz Flats and D'Addario Chromes and loved the sound of both. I ended up putting Chromes on three of my four basses because I like the feel as well as the tone. They're a higher tension string than the TIs and I prefer that. However, the TIs DO sound fantastic.

13. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Wax them.

14. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    +1 on the D'Addario Chromes. They are bright and still thump very well. They also feel great and get even better sounding as they age.