1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD REDUCED 1974 Gibson Ripper - Natural Finish with OHSC

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by lbpark, Jul 9, 2019.

1. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    Price:
    Strings:
    Up for grabs is a 1974 Gibson Ripper with OHSC. This was purchased about a year ago from the original owner. Electronics and finish are original. Hardware is original for the most part, but I'm not sure if the knobs are original. They look old but they sit pretty high up on the pot (see pic). All other hardware is original.

Currently setup with low action and a straight neck. Frets have plenty of life left. Electronics work beautifully including knobs and selector switch. Bass was played but not abused. There are no cracks or chunks missing but there are some dings and back scratches from being gigged over the years. No strap buttons have been moved and no additional routs have been added into the body. Original case comes with it, works fine. Nothing wrong with the pickguard either, just reflections from taking pics on a sunny day.

Please feel free to ask questions. Additional pics and weight can be taken upon request.

Price is $1200. Price does not include shipping and I will only ship in the US, PM me for an estimate.
    No trades, please.

ripper front 2.JPG ripper front.JPG ripper side 2.JPG ripper side.JPG ripper head.JPG ripper head 2.JPG ripper back.JPG ripper back 2.JPG ripper back 3.JPG ripper back 4.JPG ripper angle.JPG

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    cataract, ajkula66, ktdal and 2 others like this.
  2. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I have a ‘74-‘75 Ripper just like yours - the knobs on mine are original, and sit up high like yours do. I had mine refinished - it was pretty beat up when I bought it about 16 years ago. Oddly enough, mine has a tort guard, which I understand is fairly rare - it is also original.

GLWTS bumpage ....

3. bradd

bradd Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Every single ply Ripper guard I've seen was tort. They painted the back side black, so it can be hard to see.

Nice bass, OP.

4. abngourmet

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    Most Rippers I’ve seen have the black guard. Mine was the only one I’ve ever seen, but has you note, there are most likely more out there.

5. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    Thank you for the input. Just thought it was so unusual for them to sit so high. If it works, it works I guess.

6. They called me "The Ripper" in high school until I got my Irritable Bowel under control....seriously truly vintage bass. I had to choose between a new Fender P natural or the Ripper when I made my first big boy bass purchase in 1974....I chose the P cause back then I thought the Ripper was way too radical

7. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    Rippers are awesome. I love my 76. Absolute rock machines. They sound so menacing.

8. abngourmet

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    The Ripper is emblematic, in my view of the 70s as far as basses go. Folks were experimenting with in phase, out of phase wiring, series/parallel wiring, etc., in a time when active electronics weren’t that prevalent for most folks. In my mind, it is definitely “old school,” and something I enjoy personally. Gene Simmons, believe it or not, was one of the first bassists who made me want to play, and he played Gibsons at the time. Peter Cetera had a relatively famous ad in which he’s featured holding a Ripper - I actually have a copy in a frame on the wall in my “bass room” at home.” I admired his playing as well (and still do).

Anyway, more GLWTS bumpage ....

yonkrz likes this.
  9. MaccaMan1964

MaccaMan1964 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Moved to Miami
    Ugh... my bass(well, same model/config) that I used in my college band. Loved it! I bought mine because Greg Lake used it for the album that featured “Welcome back, my friends,” and I thought that was the exact sound I had in my head. Sad I sold it. May have to buy this...

Alan Scharrer likes this.
  10. Beautiful!

11. Blueinred

Blueinred

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    Man, that's a sweetie. Nice price, too. GLWTS!

12. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    Bump for a reduced price

13. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    Last price drop before I go a different route.

14. SwansonEricJohn

SwansonEricJohn Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Denver
    Still available?