1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reducing/Eliminating Unwanted Feedback

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Unrepresented, May 1, 2010.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    So, I've been finding more and more times I've been wanting to step on my Pickle Pie B since I've purchased it, unfortunately it tends to start screaming when it's stepped on.

Actually that's not 100% accurate. It screams when I stop playing, which is occasionally desirable, but often not so much.

So, part of the problem is our rehearsal setup, since I'm standing within three feet of my cab most of the time, but try and stay off axis with it, and try and face away, and even then, and keeping my right hand on the strings I'm still picking up feedback -- only with the Pickle Pie B. Volume's roughly unison, no giant gain increases.

What other anti-feedback tips am I overlooking? What other tools are there and are the solutions worse than the problem? I know that with all the fuzzheads here, someone's gotta have an easy solution.

2. My bet is that it's the pickups in your bass. If this happens with one specific bass, wax potting the pickups would probably go a long way to solving it.

3. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    +1. I have several basses that act fine with my fuzz pedals but one in particular has the same issue as you're describing.

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Warwick Corvette $$ with the MEC's swapped out for MM sized ceramic Basslines. They were professionally installed by the go to luthier around here. The swap was only a year or two ago... would they be likely to have gone microphonic?

I've always gotten more feedback with this bass (at high volumes and with high gain) than with my Fender jazz, but always presumed it had more to do with the lighter body wood of the $$ (swamp ash) and the resulting increased resonace -- especially when standing in the heavy vibration zone in front of my cab, the Pickle Pie B just seems to much more prone to this.