1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reducing left hand sliding noise

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Barnz, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Barnz

Barnz

Oct 5, 2013
    Hi,

I've been reading this forum for weeks and thought it time I signed up and joined in.
    As a lover of new steel round wound strings (lo-riders) I have got used to a bit of noise when moving my left hand. I'm in the studio for a few days this week and I'm playing a couple of songs that involve a lot of sliding about quickly between positions. I'm getting loads of horrible noises that I don't think will get lost in the mix.
    Anyone got any ideas to help dampen it down a bit? Tape on the fingers? Fast Fret? With respect, I'm pretty experienced and do feel my technique is sound.

2. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    I have been using fast fret, and while it will not eliminate the noise it does seem to shave off a little bit of the edge. It also reduces some of the friction of slides up and down the neck.

3. Barnz

Barnz

Oct 5, 2013
    Thanks. I was thinking of trying it. Is it true that when it dries it makes the strings sticky so you have to keep using more?

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

No. It is $5 a tube though and extends string life significantly so why not?

5. Have you tried a soft glove?
    I have no idea if it would work but it seems plausible.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I don't think the Fast Fret is going to eliminate left hand noise though.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Maybe use flats to record.

8. Barnz

Barnz

Oct 5, 2013
    The glove idea sounds weird but it might just work! I do want the slides to be heard though up to a point. It might dampen too much. I'll order some fast fret anyway and give it a try.

9. Barnz

Barnz

Oct 5, 2013
    Would flats be bright enough? I have tried switching to nickel wound rounds (d'addario XL) but they sounded like old strings to me. Wouldn't flats be even more mellow?

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Well they have bright sounding flats. Personally, I can't stand flats. They feel great, but I have never been happy with the sound. Not bright enough. lol. I think maybe in a recording situation it might be ok though, since the track can be manipulated later. I don't know though, I have zero experience recording.

11. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Maybe less treble will help
    -or-
    Play with the volume and Master of your amp to reduce noise

12. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
  13. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Play a lot harder so the slides are quieter in comparison with the notes...

14. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Take your left hand off the strings when you change position (mute with right hand to avoid open string sounds). It's possible to do this really fast and avoid the slide type noises you speak of.

15. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Not as fast as not taking your hands off though! More tiring too.

16. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    It can be just as fast. I don't mean an inch away from the string. More like a millimeter or two. It won't be more tiring once you get used to it either.

17. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Actually yes, you are right - but only if you start releasing the pressure at the same time as you start position shifting - (so you will still get a little take off and landing noise).

18. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    Scott Devine wears a glove on his youtube channel.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost

Feb 15, 2011
    I use Fender Nylons and they sound very bright with the right settings They are also pretty quiet when sliding. Not silent but quiet.

SG

20. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    As you're going into studio soon, might be difficult to pick up a new technique such as lifting off string when moving, and still play well enough. You should try D'Addario Chromes, they are nice and punchy sounding and brighter than you might think, the harmonics do sound great imo. Also dialling back on tone knob is another good suggestion.