1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reducing my footprint: GK MB112,SVT 210AV, or other?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wbm3, Jul 6, 2012.

1. wbm3

wbm3

Mar 31, 2004
    Hello,
    Currently play Fender P Bass with flatwounds w/ acoustic b200h through my ampeg 410 HLN..which I think sounds great and works for all our gigs.
    However; we have smaller 'broom closet' gigs where space is an issue for our 5 piece. We play 50-60s surf and garage...so I just want to continue with that sound...not a lot of highs, and a lightweight alternative is sounding more and more appealing.
    I thought about one of the acoustic cabinets to match the head (210 or 15) but while the price was right, IMO they really didn't reduce too much weight/space. So researching and reading has led me to the GK MB112 first in line. While a combo, it could also serve as emergency backup in the worst case scenario that I set a frosty beverage on the b200h and tip it over into the grill.....(hence the mic beverage holder, but getting off track..)
    Big difference in sound? I'm usually at '3' with current setup and 2 guitars, drummer and keys....

The other option would be to use the acoustic head paired with one of those ampeg SVT210 cabs which I know very little about or order an avatar 210 neo 210.

Any info/advice/opinions is appreciated.

2. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I recently picked up the Ampeg 210 as well as a GK NEO 115 cab...

not the same GK cab (also just noticed that you're talking about a combo...), but I am very impressed with both, particularly the Ampeg. Haven't had a chance to use the Ampeg with a band yet, but for smaller gigs I'm confident it will be loud enough, and it sounds great. Much better than the GK NEO 210 I tried on the same day...