Reducing neck dive with new tuners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Hey guys...I have this Warmoth jazz I bought used. Plays and sounds great...

Here's the is not well balanced. Takes a neck dive when seated. Not bad with a strap on. Similar feel to a '62 reissue. Neck heavy.

It's got hipshot classic style tuners on it and a d-tuner...a lot of hardware on the headstock. I am thinking of installing hipshot ultralites on it. Hipshot claims it will save over half a pound of weight.

My question is, will this make a difference or should I leave well enough alone?

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It'll make a difference. I personally like a bit of neckdive, so I go for the Hipshot classics.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

A new Strap might even help alot.
  4. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I have a Moody strap. If you haven't checked them out you should. With the guitar strapped on it's not too bad but not perfect.
  5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Yeah, it'll help alot. Because the tuners are on the headstock, which is the furthest point from the center of gravity, even a small difference in weight can totally change the balance of things.
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My Tacoma was a wee bit neckdivey until I replaced the tuners with UltraLites. It balances like a dream now!