1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reducing room rumble : tips wanted!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Inconnu, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Hi!

I'm trying to reduce the rumble caused by my bass playing in my home studio. Is there anything I could stick to the walls (that could be painted, if possible) or anything I could do to reduce the rumble ?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Do you have a recording of this "rumble"?

3. No, but it happens when I hit some specific notes (read : some frequencies make that rumble happen) and stops when I put my hand on the wall. It's the drywall that shakes a little.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Get a stud finder, find the studs and put some more screws in.

5. nashman

nashman

Feb 11, 2011
    I tried that before, but the stud finder kept pointing at me :bag:

6. I had this same problem in my studio/bandroom. It's a basement that's finished, but on the side f the room where my bass amp is, I was getting a nasty rumble and rattle that I tracked down to be the wall itself!!

I fixed it by EQing the deepest lows out of my sound. I'm talkig about everything below 30hz. I used my recorder's EQ section to accomplish this, but any EQ that works as a shelving EQ will work.

I got the idea from the thread about the [sfx] Thumpinator. It really works.

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Huh???

OP: buy a couple of bass traps.

8. JOEYDAHLIA

JOEYDAHLIA Commercial User

Nov 11, 2003
    Tampa
    Owner, KLOPS

sure...you can box in the front of your cab with some blankets..

what your going to do is create a box with 4 sides as the air and waves pass thru they wont bounce off the walls as loud...

this works great, cleans up your signal beautifully !!!

has to be on all 4 sides..unless speaker is on carpet floor..then box in top left and right..

2x2 or 3x3 is fine..just make sure it's not to close the voice coil needs air to live...

this will get rid of most noise not coming from your cab

9. Keldog

Keldog

Jan 23, 2008
    I dunno...
    it sounds like putting some screws in the wall is the right idea.

You have someone who could hit those notes that cause the rumble while you check the wall?

If so, when ya find the loose part, use some Grabber screws and dip them in wood glue and sink em.

??

10. IK Obi

IK Obi

Apr 4, 2011
    Try placing your amp/cab on some cinder blocks and bass traps for acoustic treatment. Or you could always practice with headphones.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Ever done remodeling? You'll run into entire column of screws that the installer totally missed the stud on.

12. JOEYDAHLIA

Nov 11, 2003
    Tampa
    Owner, KLOPS
    of left the can of screws behind the drywall...

was the home built in the south...??:rollno:

13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I have the same problem in my practice room - some things vibrate at certain notes. I have learned NOT to try out new basses there.

All the suggestions above are good, but if the floor or wall is just resonating, there is little you can do aside from some real construction - like added another layer of drywall for more mass. Try EQing out the rumble at the lowest frequencies.

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Well, that may be, but what sounds smarter: putting screws in every single stud in the wall, hoping to eliminate the issue, or reducing the offending waves without undertaking any construction???????

15. JOEYDAHLIA

Nov 11, 2003
    Tampa
    Owner, KLOPS
    na..in my studio..I have normal walls...none are padded..but the front of my speakers are all boxed in with blankets....now I am not covering my cabs with blankets..but it works great

16. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Do you own the house, or rent? If you own it, you could add a layer of drywall, with Green Glue. You can also hang the blankets you mentioned- more massive is better. You need to make the walls stop vibrating and adding mass is the most efficient way of doing this. You can also install bass traps- these usually go in the corners and keep the standing waves that meet in the corners from being a problem. They smooth the bass response immensely.