1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Redundant question but need to ask

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by monfoodoo, Jul 30, 2007.

1. monfoodoo

monfoodoo

Apr 20, 2006
    I,ve played bass for 30 some years or more(i'm 51 now),much of it pro.My main rig was a (big mistake,should have bought the SVT) Sunn 880 head and 2 15" cab with a 18"folded horn cab.Well, the main person i stood by in his music had died 10 years ago,three weeks before that he got a major record deal.His death bummed me out so bad i stopped playing.So,a few guitar players at work have got me interested in playing again.A Ibanez SRX2EX2 is what i have just purchased.Now i need a small amp ,somewhere in the range of 350-400$.Ive looked at Behringer and Line6,but i have been so outa touch with the new products i don't know what is going on.I sure don't want make another mistake when making my decision.Can i get some solid advice.A combo amp is pretty much all i need,at the moment.Thanks scott

2. Behringer would equal another mistake...

how much are you looking to spend? There are some amazing combo amps in the $1500 plus range, and there are some great bang for buck combos under $1000, and there are some pretty good combos in the $250 - $750 range. You get what you pay for.

In the upper end of things, the Epifani UL combos, Eden Metro and SWR Redhead are tough to beat (the Eden and SWR can be had for under $750 used too). I've heard that the Mesa Mpulse 600 combos are great too - they make a 1-15 and a 2-10.

Bang for buck level - MarkBass gear is great, although I've personally not had the chance to try one of the combos out. It's essentially the LMK2 with one of their cabs though, so I'm sure they're great.

In the lower price ranges, go used for sure. You can get a lot more amp that way. Find a Yorkville dealer locally and try the XS400 combos (2-10 and 1-15 are both offered), there's always Peavey for bulletproof reliability, Genz Benz, Carvin (Great bang for buck!), etc... Try as many as you can before making your decision.

3. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    i've heard some bad things about behringer, but i don't know anything about line 6

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Price per feature wise, you can't beat Behringer, and they have a good warranty exchange for 1 year.
    They have no resale value because next years model will be cheaper. And they are not light.

Specs everywhere are incomplete and stretch, you can't rely on them for bass amps.

My advice would be to hook up with a store that lets you take out amps for several weeks to try them. Playing an amp for a few weeks is the only real way to know what it can do for you. A store with a large selection. Guitar Center seems to have the most selection. And you might be temped with a Mark Bass amp when you hear them.

5. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Sound like you have been haning out at Guitar Center! Can't say enough bad things about Line6 amps or Behringer for that matter. If I were in your shoes, I would try to find something used, of higher quality. Maybe a nice used G an K rig would do the trick? Hartke is affordable. Genz Benz is great for the money. Best of luck!

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Used mid range.

I think if you think that you are going to like playing again
    and want some versatility you may consider some of the
    following. Here is some of the equipment I have bought
    used and general price ranges.

I really like the versatility of separate head and cab.
    Mix and match. Then you can trade off or sell of when
    you want to upgrade.

For a medium rig I got a used Eden WT300, paid about
    400 for that and a used Aguilar GS112, 12" speaker cab.
    That was about 200. It has beautiful tone, and I get lots
    of compliments on lower volume sessions.

For big rig, I use a SWR SM-900, that was about 600 used.
    When the big bang created the universe, I think the SM-900
    caused the bang. I use it with one or 2 SWR Goliath 4x10's.
    Those cabs I got dirt cheap, and 2 of them are complete
    over kill.

There are still a bunch of Acoustics and Sunn classic cabs around.
    The younger folk don't much want the older stuff . Sometimes you can
    find the cabs with the original drivers locally very cheap as no on wants
    to ship a 135 lb cab anywhere.
    I still have my Acoustic 140/106 rig from 1975. I just don't move it anywhere.
    If the drivers need to be reconed that is certainly within
    your budget. I picked up an Acoustic 320 for under 200 bucks,
    and that is a nice old amp as well. Plenty of mojo.

The GK700 and GK1001RB are nice amps and they
    are reasonable used. You can get a brand new GK1001RB for
    600, so used they are less.

I think you will be spending a bunch of time in the classifieds,
    seeing what's available used at what cost.

Used is the way to go, you can get a higher quality amp
    for shorter money, and less depreciation when you sell.

The feedback system here really helps, most people are quite
    concerned with their sales reputation when dealing with
    fellow bassists.

Good luck in your search! :)

PS Fill out your profile, it helps when you want advice
    on gear. Also, you may run into someone locally with stuff to sell.

7. I have a Fender Rumble 100 I'm very happy with as a practice amp. $330 plus shipping from some of the online stores.

P1010271.

8. monfoodoo

monfoodoo

Apr 20, 2006
    that Fender rumble was brought up in conversation,i'll go and check them out.And i am only looking for a small amp for now.I did hear bad things on Behringer looking around on the web.A big rig is not in my plans unless i hook up with a band.So for now something around the 350 dollar range will be ok.

9. Used SWR Basic Black then. Beautiful sounding amp. Smooth and very flexible. Much better than the newer workingman/workingpro stuff. Pro level small combo amp. Won the Bass Player shootout a number of years ago. Can be hard to find, but well worth the search.