Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Redux: New String Clips

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by beam, Nov 4, 2005.

1. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    http://chicagoclan.150m.com/Strings/index.html

Ok, so early this morning I realized that a lot of my clips that were originally thought to be Line In, where actually using the Mic...hence why a lot of them sounded so similar :oops:

However, I've just spent the last hour in a mad frenzy of stringing and re-stringing so I could bring you these wonderful clips :p

However, all was not done without loss :mad:
    The Labella flats were on my T-40, so I had to take them off, put them on the Schecter for recording, then put them back on the T-40. Well, because of the nature of the T-40's bridge, it causes almost an elbow bend in the strings because of how they come up through the body, and then bend over the bridge at almost a 90degree angle. This obviously created a small weak point in the string, because as I was restringing the T-40 with it...it unravelled on me :mad:

In the process, my T-40 has become a punk rock bass, based on sheer circustances alone...If some of you remember, I accidentally cut the G string on the Labella set a wee bit too short for the T-40, so I had to leave the original dead EB Slinky on there..

Now it is as follows:
    E - D'addario Chrome Flat
    A - Labella Flat
    D - Labella Flat
    G - Ernie Ball Slinky Round
    :rolleyes: ;)

However, when they were back on the Schecter for recording, they truly convinced me they were the best flats I'd ever laid ears or fingers on, so I know what the next set of flats for my Schecter is gonna be(for non-testing purposes) :D

Anyhow, feel free to browse and listen, more to come in the following weeks.

2. Dude, what an awesome idea! You rock! I love how you posted the bass, amp, and EQ info too (it would have been practically useless otherwise). Keep up the good work!

3. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

:cool:
    Thanks!

I've tried to put up relevant images too

4. Holy SIT! Those Silencers sound great!! :bassist:

5. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

They are indeed very nice. More than likely gonna end up on my ATK ;)

6. I downloaded the Line-In files today (11/7/2005) and played them through my high quality system, and hear virtually nothing different between the different sound files.

I very much expected to hear a difference between the rounds and flats, but do not. Is this because the bass tone control was rolled off?

Please consider making the recordings with the tone control full up.

My playback system on the computer is a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. It drives a Yamaha 60w stereo power amp, and a pair of Pioneer HPM-100 12" 4-way stereo speakers. The HPM-100 were chosen by blind listening test for full range bass and clarity.

7. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

Sorry you don't hear much of a difference, I hear a distinct difference between the two recordings of each set, though it is more noticeable with some over others. I can also especially hear the difference between the rounds and the flats :confused:
    As I stated on the site, the tone control is set to about 7, it's rolled off just a little bit. The Eden is a fairly clean sounding cab, so I wouldn't expect it to have a huge amount of coloration on the signal. That, and my mic isn't the greatest in the world, but it serves it's purpose.

Okie...

8. The makers of that card must have shared name-department with 'Hootie and the Blowfish' :ninja:

9. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    I quite agree. Although my sound setup is not up to bgavin's, I find the files are virtually identical timbre-wise. I'd expect to be able to tell them apart in a blindfold test, but I'm not. There should be a much more pronounced difference between e.g. LaBella DTFlats and DR Lo Riders. I know they sound entirely different on my bass.

10. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

Hmm, well I've no problem telling them apart just by listening. There is a lot more of the roundwound "twinkle" on the DR track than the Labella.
    In person, they don't sound that much different than on the recording.
    While they may sound entirely different on your bass, they have a similar fundamental tone on mine :)

The mic aside, there are no real variables with the Line-In tones. That's how the amp/bass makes them sound.

11. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    Oh well, if you say so. Guess my ears must be shot. About all I can hear is slightly more fret noise from the roundwounds.

12. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    *shrugs*
    I'm just the messenger ;)

Perhaps there isn't as big a difference in strings as a lot of people make it out to be?