'redwood' as a body wood??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, Jan 12, 2004.

1. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Hey there superstars...
    I just finished gluing up 2 pieces of redwood for a strat body, and would like some input on what YOU think of redwood as a body wood?
    Being from cali, I have some easy access to this wood and for pretty cheap. I know it dents easy and is mostly used for drop tops and acoustic tops, but the pieces I have are tight grained and straight grained, without much figure at all. THe body is 1.75" thick, weighs next to nothing, and has a good 'knock' to it. I also like that it's easy to cut and work with, and looks "pretty" when finished. Just not sure how it 'sounds' .........yet.

I'm new to the forum and to building, but I hope to soon be showing up here regularly. I love this site and as an aspiring luthier, have learned much just reading this forum and looking at ya'lls pictures. Thanks.

2. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Leo Fender and Freddy Tavares built the first Esquires out of pine and by all accounts they sounded great. Good thing about a bolt-on: if it doesn't work, you can save everything else and try something else.
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I've never played, or even seen, a redwood-body bass myself, but there's a guy who occasionally visits the Bill Lawrence Wilde-Gate forum (www.billlawrence.com) who made a *guitar* with a redwood body and a flamed koa top. IIRC, his screen name is DrewBlanc, if you want to ask around there.