Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Redwood Burl Top

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Luke Sheridan, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
  2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Alder, or swamp ash, with ebony or similar fretboard. Maybe even a laminate strip in beween the body layers to set it off.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    beautiful. Hope it will finish drying for you without doing anything nasty..t

4. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Are Alder and Swamp good for sonic qualities paired with redwood?

5. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    The burl came from a tree about 1000 years old. The slab from which these boards were cut was about 4 inches thick and had been air dried for 25 years.

Is that not dry enough?

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Never tried it, but I like the sound of it by itself, and also with a maple top. My Conklin has a swamp ash body, maple top, wenge/purpleheart neck (good idea for your bass), purpleheart fretboard. I like it's tone very much, even with the Mighty-Mite electronics.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am sure that is dry enough. What a piece of history. Amazing that you are using a nearly 1000 year old piece of wood to build a bass.

8. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I saw that auction on eBay............nice lookin wood!
    Pretty damn expensive for my wallet though, but once again, great lookin stuff!
    However, padauk comes to mind.......only cuz it's red. I also think of maybe going with a redwood body core (1+"), and maybe a bookmatched back laminate, like curly red maple or something like that..........
    the possiblilities are endless.......

9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    "Here in coastal northern California wood dries to about 12 -14 moisture content. "

Is that dry enough?

10. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Those are some beautiful pieces of redwood!

I am waiting for a Benavente 6-string fretless which will have a burl redwood top, white limba body, and ebony fingerboard, pickup covers and knobs. Three piece maple neck. So it'll be pretty much a three-tone thing: white, black and red.

We haven't found a redwood piece for it yet, but I hope we'll find someting along the lines of what you found. Or something like this one.

11. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    1/4" redwood will dry to whatever MC your environment will allow very quickly. Hold off on using it a couple of weeks and you should be okay. Keep an eye on it if you live someplace where the rel. humidity goes really low.

12. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    that sounds good. The redwood I worked with was not burl. It was very light and VERY soft. I ended up selling the even prettier piece I had. I hate working with soft wood...........t

13. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY

Wow, the nordstrand is great inspiration. Hope mine turn out as well.
    There are two other tops on ebay now for like 30 bucks each set.

Here's the item numbers:

14. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    The E-bay pieces are pretty. Such a shame people charge such ridiculous prices for shipping. I have shipped whole basses across the country for less.....t

15. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I just had a Bee bass made with a flamed redwood top. We used maple/purpleheart for the neck, an ebony fretboard and mahogany for the body. Plenty of bass, nice top end with a compressed, 'thumpy' attack.

I'm very pleased.