1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reed James Custom Pickups... almost a year waiting...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by David V, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. David V

David V

Oct 24, 2015
    Montreal, Quebec
    Here is a warning to all who consider purchasing a Reed James pickup, he is by far not the most disorganized business man, enjoys playing games with his customers, and does not keep his end of the deal. I say this because I ordered a pickup from him February 19 2015 and I have yet to receive it. I had trusted him at first as his responses to my e-mails were quick and he seemed passionate about his product. Then he fell off the face of the earth for a couple of months. I later got an e-mail from him stating that he was ill and will get to my order as soon as possible. I e-mailed several times and tried calling him twice with no response. In late August I tried to get my money back through Paypal only to find out I passed their 180 day policy by one week. Shortly after I got a response from James saying that there was a mixup with my order and that he was getting on it. I waited again for another month before I sent him another email, and was ignored again. I then decided to respond to a post on Talkbass and sent him an e-mail saying that I posted my experience on this website. That got his attention and he suddenly started with that I should have tried e-mailing him before doing so and that his other e-mail wasn't working (even though it was the e-mail he was using to contact me). Then it became my fault that I didn't get my order because I didn't send him my order number with my e-mails (even though I sent it 4 previous times). And then it started getting ugly with responses like this:
    "your email got me to respond not treat of talk bitch enjoy there company
    nothing but bottom feeding scum."
    I removed the post hoping that If I did I could eventually get my pickup, but that is when the games started. It was "I couldn't get a courier to come to the shop this week", and then it was shipped out only to have been returned by some reason while all the time it was a bogus tracking number that never worked. He was ill and couldn't make it to the shop. It was one excuse after another and all the time I stayed as politically correct as possible. He stopped communicating with me on December 21 2015. I've sent him 4 e-mails since with no response from him. I've given up and I know that I will not get to hear the product that I payed for. I can only advise those who wish to do business with him to know what they are getting into.

2. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Mods:
    There needs to be a sticky warning people about this guy and his business practices.

orange joe and Steve-Mo like this.
  3. Please use the search function. There are several threads on this topic already.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Seems to be the norm for him judging by all the other threads about him just like yours. Maybe @Reed James Eng will respond? He's been pretty active posting here recently.

orange joe likes this.
  5. gorneyg

gorneyg Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2012
    New Jersey
    I'm going through this now and it's only been 2 months. I've already escalated through PayPal and it looks like I'll be submitting a refund request.

6. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    So, how many custom pickup manufacturers give their customers a hard time? I've only seen threads for Bill Lawrence and (now) Reed James, but I'm curious if there are others.

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    So you haven't seen the SGD Pickup thread yet? It's a sticky at the top of this forum.

orange joe likes this.
  8. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I didn't and that's exactly why I asked. I usually view threads from the homepage so I rarely see the stickies.

9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It's a fun read! And there's a whole new twist that just happened a few days ago. It's like reality TV! Well except for all the people Schwab ripped off.

orange joe, wcriley and Duder like this.
  10. Tim817

Tim817

Dec 14, 2015
    Unionvale New York
    I know its cool to say I had this custom made by Joe blow on me bass. Guys there is so more really,really good stuff you can to upgrade your bass with out there , that's over the counter its better priced and just as good if not much better than most of this custom crab. Maybe if it was 10,15 years ago I would get it. Today there on need to go through the head ache of dealing with guys like this .

11. orange joe

orange joe I am serious and don't call me Shirley

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    Man what is this guys problem?Get this. This Gomer just puts up a post on fb that reads "If you own a Pavel or R Bass I won't make pickups for you so don't ask." I simply respond "more trouble on talkbass?" to which I get "this has nothing to do with you talkbass *substitute word for pile of sticks*".then immediately deletes the whole post.way to be able to control yourself and act like an adult dude.this tale sounds all too familiar to the trouble I went through with the Schwabster on the SGD thread as apparently some of you know.except Schwab just ignored you instead of blurting out insults like a middle school bully. though because of the SGD thread I was able to find a darn good pickup winder in our fellow TBer big_tee and got some sweet multi coils and sidewinders from him without having to suffer any slings or arrows.I don't think I'll be getting any Reed James pickups anytime soon that's for sure.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  12. aguyinaustintx

aguyinaustintx

Apr 10, 2016
    My experience with James Reed Custom Pickups has been just as bad as James V's. After months of emailing requests on the status of my unfulfilled order, Jim resorted to childish personal attacks. He refuses to refund the money I paid him. It's worse than being defrauded, it's as if I paid him to do nothing but insult me.

13. David V

David V

Oct 24, 2015
    Montreal, Quebec
    I had made an update to this post on the 17th of February. Some people may not have read it. I just realized that some people may think that I never did get my stuff if they didn't read my other post.

"So I finally got my order, two days before the one year mark. According to Jim, the post office held the order because of an incident with his dog, and he was not notified that it was being held. Anyways, he not only sent me the pickup that I ordered, but the template to create the cavity on my bass, and a calibrated pair of split blade Neodymium soap bar pickups finished in cocobolo, which I think was generous on his part. I'm just glad that this ordeal is now over and that I can continue with my project."

Like I pointed out further on in my update to this post, sites such as this one should point out when one is getting scammed, or getting sub-par product, to lure people away from falling into the same trap you did. But, once the Maker rights his mistakes, it should also be noted. And yes, I can't say that it was a great experience, but I got what I paid for and more for my troubles.

14. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    His dog ate your pickups??? :D

I just bought a set of Tom Brantley pickups. I'm going to try to get them installed this week. Excellent communication and the pickups arrived promptly. I did my research BEFORE I sent him money. Sorry, but with the internet, it's really hard to get screwed if you do your homework carefully.