Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reed Mathis

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jongor, Dec 2, 2003.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Y'all should check this guy out...he's great.

Amazing jazz improve, not unlike MMW.

MP3.com Homepage

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've seen him twice live and he blows my mind. HELL of a bassist. I'm a big Jacob Fred fan in general.

Last time I saw Reed, he strapped on a cello and played it as a bass. :eek: I feared it at first, but he did it justice somehow.

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Reed has a great feel. Their keyboard player is outrageous! Thats crazy about the cello!!!

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Yeah, Brian Haas is a monster on that Rhodes. I've met him a couple of times (the drummer of the band I'm jamming with knows all of 'em well) and he is as nice a guy as you will meet. Unbelievably humble and outgoing. Reed is a nice guy as well. Haven't met Jason Smart (drummer), but the interesting thing about him is that he actually lives in Cincy and flies in to Tulsa, where they are based, for practices.

I recommend this band to anyone who digs avant-garde, improvisational jazz. Be forewared - they don't sound like anyone you've heard. The best way to describe them is to say that their music almost serves as a new/different interpretation of Miles and Monk. You'll see what I mean when you see/hear them.

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'll second (or third) the sentiment. I saw these guys here in San Francisco a few months back, and they were off the hook. I wasn't necessarily into some of the material at the time, but it's grown on me somewhat (some of it is still too far out there for my own tastes), and it's very clear that these guys are exceptional musicians. Really liked some of Reed's playing, and that of the drummer, in particular.

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yes! Reed Mathis is probably the youngest guy out there doing really innovative stuff on the bass. JFJO has to be one of the most exciting bands to happen in a while. Although they're styles aren't that similar, you should check out Marc Freedman from the Slip - amazing fretless player!