1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reeves 225 or Divided by 13 TBL 200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by david3821, Mar 28, 2009.

1. I can't handle my solid state/hybrid tone anymore! So I am getting ready to throw down some money on a new all tube bass amp. I've got it narrowed down to either the Reeves 225 or the Divided by 13 TBL 200. I've heard awesome things about both but was wondering if my fellow bass players could help me decide! Thanks

2. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    At least you have good taste!

Both of these amps are fine examples of craftsmanship.

Both builders are known for roadworthy performance in build quality.

Both are powered by 4 KT88's

The Reeves has considerably more power,
    225+ watts @ 8 Ohms, and tested 256 watts
    @ 4 Ohms,
    This extra beefiness most likely due to the size
    of the transformers which equates to greater clean headroom and overall fullness.

This extra whomp also makes the Reeves one of the very few hand wired amps that can hold it's ground with no shame against an SVT only the tone is warmer.

The TBL 200 single channel
    The Reeves Custom 225 is 2 channel.

No weight posted on the /13 but the tested weight of the
    Reeves was around 61+ pounds.

If you are at all concerned, keep in mind all
    Reeves amps come with a no hassle 10 day return policy.

All you lose is return shipping if you're not happy.

My 225 arrives Monday!

All credit due to the staff @ BassGearmag.com for the test results.
    http://www.bassgearmag.com/web/current_issue.php

3. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    subscribed

4. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    If I had more money I would be asking the same question.

good luck

5. Hmmm..Now you got me leaning towards the Reeves! Two awesome reviews in bassgearmag.com and bassplayer.com plus a ten day money back guarantee! I'd still like to hear from someone who has owned or played a TBL 200. If the /13 bass amp is anything like the guitar amps it must kill!

6. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I'd love to play a TBL 200. I also have some experience with /13 guitar amps, and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it's a top shelf piece of equipment. In my personal experience with both manufacturers, just like Reeves /13 doesn't build anything but excellent amps. They really can't afford to, the both have stellar reputations to live up to. Search either one on The Gear Page, and you'll get the idea!
    I've got a Reeves Custom 225, and IMO it is what everybody says about it; the "Real Deal". I like it more every time I fire it up and truthfully can't imagine a scenario that would include parting with it.

On second thought, maybe I don't want to hear the TBL 200, I can hear my gear budget straining as I post this... ;)

7. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I need to get a Y jumper and try the Reeves running both channels.

8. Ok...I know that the Reeves is a top notch amp but I decided to go with the TBL 200. It took me a lot longer than I thought to make my decision. Last weekend I played through a 400+ and a Skunkworks SVT. I thought the 400+ sounded very sterile but the Skunkworks killed though a NV 610. I knew I couldn't wait to have my tubey goodness any longer. I can't wait to waive goodbye to my hybrid tone. Once I receive it I'll have to post my review and see if I can record some clips!

9. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Fred builds a great amp, so I'm sure you'll be happy with the tone.

10. Ok...So I got the TBL 200 a couple of weeks ago and it just kills! Right now I am playing through a 8 ohm Goliath III so I'm not getting the full wattage out of the amp. The TBL200 is everything I could ask for though and gets me the tone that I've been seeking. I'll post a full review soon hopefully with pics and/or sound. I plan on getting a NV610 and can't wait to hear that combo! I've played through a Skunkworks SVT and NV610 and it sounded unreal.

11. Do you still own the TBL200? I would love to hear some further thought on it. :)

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I've known Fred Taccone since 1975 and he's a great guy. i haven't tried his TBL200, but i would imagine that they are great amps. that said, if it were me, i actually would go with a Reeves 225.

13. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
    I had a TBL200 for a few years paired with a bergantino nv215 or 610. the purchased was indulgent and unwarranted if based solely on my abilities. Im a fairly lousy bass player at best. The justification at the time was to keep up with the guitar players I was playing with. After the divided by thirteen and bergs volume would never be a problem again. I had ample amounts of volume to spare. I was very pleased with the tone. compared to other tube amps i felt that the TBL 200 berg compliment hade cleaner stronger fundamental tones.The bass was a hollow body guild with darkstars.

14. mihayloff

mihayloff

Aug 10, 2010
    Being an all tube amp, you should be getting the same wattage out of the amp whether you're running it at 4 or 8 ohms.