Reeves

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sickest beast, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Anyone played the Reeves Custom 400 yet? My lord!

One day... yes God, One day. I will own this amp.

Also, could anyone out there who has played or owns a Reeves 1x15 give me a quick opinion on it. It's super expensive, I don't think I'd ever afford 2 of them, but I'd like to know where they stand, especially compared to the Orange OBC115. Thanks.

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've played both of them. The Reeves 15 is considerably brighter overall. Some players like that & some don't...I prefer it as I play passive basses and it's easy roll the tone back if it's too brittle.

The custom 400 is a monster - I think you'd really want at least two cabs to take full advantage of what it has to offer. ;)

3. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree. And just to back up your two cab theory; The single Reeves 115 that I brought to the last Cincy GTG did indeed suffer catastrophic failure at the hands of the C400 at some point during the festivities.

DSC00114-1.jpg

At the autopsy the verdict was "mechanical failure caused by over powering", so I'd have to concur with your two cab advice Bob!
    Someone also fired up the Sunn 2000S rig in the pic without hooking up any load. I don't know for how long, but on one of my trips into that room I found her with a input cable plugged in, powered up, off standby, and cranked up with empty output jacks...

The old battleship took it in stride though, she's right as rain! ;)

I'm not complaining; those things happen. I weighed the potential risks before I brought all that stuff to a "show and tell" and invited anyone who wanted wail away on them. :D
    Maybe at the next one I'll make warning signs. ;)

4. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    I used to play 2-2000s rigs (4 cabs) in clubs in the 70's and I always pulled the fuses when I left them alone over night.

5. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    What clubs were you playing that had room on stage for four 2000S cabs? Were you a solo act? :D I'm impressed!
    I've only gigged a single cab 2000S rig indoors a few times, and a two cab 2000S inside twice. Sounds great - WAY too big.
    My normal club rig is the "lower powered" Reeves C225 through a EVM15L loaded 215S cab. The C225 is lighter than the C400 by maybe 25 lbs, and the 215S is the same depth as the 2000S cab, 6" less height and width, and a whole lot lighter and easier to move.
    A much tidier, stage friendly package, and plenty of "whomp".

I flirted with the idea of bringing a couple more cabs and another head, but I already had a van full of amps; I also brought three other rigs that were set up in another room.
    I figured that variety was more relevant to a GTG than another 2000S rig. Besides; one full 2000S is probably loud enough to "get the point across" in a room that size. ;)
    Maybe next time...

The fuse idea is a good one, but in this scenario I wanted people to wail away on it, anybody that wanted to; that was the whole idea. Not a lot of bass players actually get the opportunity to wind up the legendary 2000S, particularly the way it should be played; with a pair of factory 2000S cabs.

6. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    It was no big deal, the 1X18 Coliseums sat on top of the 2X15 2000S cabs so I only needed a little more than 5 feet wide. The hard part was seeing the controls as the rig was over 7.5 feet tall!

Actually back in the 70's large stages were the norm where I was and a trio (like mine) had a hard time filling up the stage.......

7. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    BTW........ if we ever meet in person, please speak up as this rig did more than it's share of damage. Seriously.

8. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I would love to have that reeves and a sealed cab in my arsenal.. Niiiice!!!!

9. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I was in So Cal in the 70's, mostly in 4-5 piece bands. A few big stages but a whole lot of "tight fits", even with the SVT and Acoustic rigs I used back then. Sunns were too freekin' expensive for me in those days; you could buy a brand new Pontiac Trans Am for about what a pair of new 2000S rigs cost in the early 70's. :eek:
    Probably one of the major contributing factors to the scarcity of 2000S rigs today.

I was trying to imagine 4 x 2000S cab bass rig in the venues I was playing; even laying down and stacked it would be 8' wide and close to 6' tall.
    It sure looks cool though. ;)
    Now days just schlepping a C225 and a "little" 2X15 is a PITA.

Amen to that! Ear plugs, what were those? Well, I suppose you live and learn...

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not played the Custom 400, but my Custom 225 puts a smile on my face every time I play it, and it's been plenty loud for me (especially with KT120s).

I have also been able to play through both the Reeves 1x15 and the (sealed) 4x10. In fact, I'm working on a review of both at the moment. :D They are really exceptional, and provide two unique but compelling options. Considering the quality and performance, I think that the Reeves heads and cabs are very reasonably priced, to boot. :cool:

11. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I was watching a 225 on the 'bay this week, hoping for a good deal--no bids with an hour and 40 minutes to go on Wednesday, I was licking my chops. I checked an hour later and the auction had ended early, no reason given.:bawl:

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021