1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reference book

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GretschWretch, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  2. A 'Guitar Amplifier Encyclopedia' is a great idea, but this book doesn't live up to the promise of the title. For one thing, the information provided is hardly 'encyclopedic' in nature, and it is presented in a rambling, opinionated editorial style that seems more appropriate to a guitar player's chat room than a purported reference book. The author repeats oft-told urban legends and old wife's tales about the history of guitar amps without providing any specific resources or research. And there is enough actual misinformation in the excerpts that were reprinted on-line to make me question the usefulness of the entire book as an authoritative reference; particularly grating on my ear was the author's repeated reference to Fender's use of 'tweed tolex'. (If you don't know, the twill covering on vintage Fender amps popularly referred to as 'tweed' is definitely not Tolex, the brand-name vinyl covering that Fender has used for years, beginning with the 'brown-faced' era, IIRC...at any rate, they are definitely two different things.) Also, the author conflates Charlie Christian with Charlie Parker in the opening paragraph...I don't think he meant to say that the guitar amp was needed so that Bird could be heard over the 'commotion' of a big-band horn section. It's that sort of thing that brings the accuracy of the whole work into question. Still, I did read a few things I hadn't previously read, and there are a lot of pictures of old, cool-looking amps, many of which I hadn't seen before. But if you're looking for an authoritative reference book, as implied by the use of the word "encyclopedia' in the title, I think you'd find this book lacking. BTW & FWIW: I've found the Wiki articles about particular vintage guitars and amps to be trustworthy and informative enough, in a general sort of way...if the item is popular enough to merit an entry. Sadly, Wiki isn't of much use when trying to track down info about more obscure stuff--that would be the appeal of an actual encyclopedia of guitar amps.