Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Refinish my olp stingray translucent green

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by THIRSTYGUMS, Jan 18, 2006.

1. I want to refinish my O.L.P. Stingray (previously metallic blue - Yuk!) in a translucent emerald Greenburst with a clear see-through pickguard/scratchplate. (see photos)
    Has anyone attempted this sort of stain, sunburst then lacquer type of finish? Will the wood underneath the paint be a hideous mashup of knots and blemishes? I want to see a little grain through the burst (I just want it to look a little natural as opposed to looking all flamed and expensive)
    any ideas, suggestions? i cant get reranch products over in my country but i can get Tamiya paints and modelers supplies e.t.c.

the first picture belongs to a TB'er and is the PERFECT colour

the second one is the style im going for with the maple neck, clear pickguard but itll be Green....

I have had great results doing a custom paint job in solid colours using car paints and lacquers, but im not sure about choosing staining or translucent paints????!?!?!?!?!?!?!:confused:

2. Be prepared for some "not so great" looking boards under that opaque paint. That's often what's done with the poorly matched and uglier wood.

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I agree with hambone. Usually they paint the ugly bodies, and do clear finishes on the nice onces. You might be better off getting a clear body and redoing it.

4. hmmmm, it might be a good idea. cheers guys.