Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Christian Houmann, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Hi Guys,

I have my eyes on Celinder bass which not so expensive because the paint it removed. It was green before and now it has the natural look of a ash body.

Will I be able to make the bass in to a trans white?
    Also will it effect the sound of the bass?

I will see if I can post a picture of it.

2. petie-b

Aug 24, 2005
    orlando, florida
    I know that you can buy white wood stain but i have never used it, i would think that if you managed to stain the body white and then applied several coats of laquer you would be able to get a translucent white effect, you may be able to mix the stain with the laquer but again i have never done so and could not say for sure how it will turn out.

maybe you should try a few ideas out on some scrap wood to see how things go first.
  3. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    If you are talking about a fender "White Blonde" type translucent finish it should not be a problem. I have done it in nitro.
    Depending on what you already have on the ash you may need to strip it, grain fill the ash, seal with clear sanding sealer, spray with clear / white mix till you get the effect you want, then clear coat.If you already have a sealed/pore filled body , you may be able to skip some of this.
    There are a few good sites I Know of detailing this, let me know if this is what you mean and I will find them up for you.
  4. Hi Guys,

The bass sold fast I didn't have a chance! Thanks for your replys.