1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Refinished P-Bass....Olympic White with Rosewood Pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tuba_samurai, Apr 20, 2015.

1. tuba_samurai

tuba_samurai Yamaha BB Club #123

Oct 30, 2013
    Georgia
    Hey all,

I wanted to post some pics of a frankenbass I just refinished. My first refinish was on my first bass guitar- a 90's Epiphone Accu-Bass Jr. I learned what not to do on that bass.

*Don't sand all the way through a thick poly finish.
    *Don't let the grain filler dry completely before you buff it off.
    *Don't handle it before the paint cures completely
    * Don't handle it before the clear dries completely...I'm impatient :)
    *Put one more clear coat than you need
    *Learn to wet sand!

Here's that bass:
    10384900_673441769377605_2996659345305864903_n.

I decided to have another go at refinishing with a parts bass that I acquired. It is a Squier P-bass body, I assume a pickguard heaven rosewwod print pickguard, a Squier factory second Jazz neck, a hipshot brass bridge, and a DiMarzio Model P pickup. Here's the before picture: IMG_20141004_183458_450.

I liked the mojo it had, but I don't feel like the black and the Rosewood print pickguard go well. It just looks all black from a distance in low light. I wanted a bit of relic to it so I sanded down at the arm contour and a couple spot where my fingers normally rest at the bridge. Then a lightly sanded the body with 320, I then primed it, re-sanded the wear spots, Sprayed a few coats of automotive Olympic White pait, re-sanded the wear spots, wet sanded, filed out a couple of the pre-existing damage spots to bring them out, and sprayed a couple of super thin coats of satin nitro clear and here is the result:
    IMG_20150414_205356_919.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    A-Ro and reddog like this.
  2. cool, thanks for the tips! i'm a day or two away from starting a refin project

3. Danpirvine

Danpirvine

Jul 8, 2015
    SYDNEY
    Looks amazing now way better! Great job the wood pops out now the relic looks just right not over done like done I have seen