Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Refinisher Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MTRatt, Jan 16, 2002.

1. MTRatt

MTRatt

Dec 31, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I searched the forum and didn't see any threads like this, so here goes:

Have you had your bass professionally refinished? If so, who did you have do it and what is a ballpark price?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Probably the best in the business is Pat Wilkins. Check www.wilkinsguitars.com. He does a lot of work for major boutique bass and guitar companies.

Pat changed a purple quilt maple top +opaque black back PRS guitar into a tigers eye beauty with a translucent cherry back AND the faux natural wood binding. See the pic in my link below. I don't recall the exact price but this was a tough job. Several hundred dollars. Well worth it.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    A second vote for Pat, he does excellent work and for a reasonable price. We (Bass Central) just recieved a refinished Sadowsky body from Pat today (it had been damaged by a careless customer! :eek: :mad: ), and it's beautiful! Took it from a...uh...well..."acquired taste" purple over quilt maple to a honey burst that really shows off the top. Definitely contact Pat and see what he can do for you.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  5. MTRatt

MTRatt

Dec 31, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've been to that page.

Knowing myself as I do after all these years, I would not have the patience required to do a good job. Especially since I would be leaning toward a Sunburst finish.

On the other hand, I do have a Steinberger knockoff at home that I could experiment with. :p

Later,
    Matt

6. Guys over on the Dudepit swear by Michael Dolan. I've seen his work - both refinishes and custom creations - it can't be beat for quality.

I'd do a search. I've forgotten the exact URL of his website.