Refinishing a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThunderGod4, Sep 27, 2003.

1. ThunderGod4

Aug 27, 2003
    Erie PA
    Can anyone help me with refinishing a bass, i have a blue fender jazz bass and i want to refinish it into a gold color. I want to know if it is possible for a first timer to do it. Ive been looking around and i cant seem to find someone in my area taht does it. Or would it just be cheaper to buya new body.
  2. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Try posting this in the Luthiers Forum, you could get some good help there.

You can do it, it's not too hard. Just wait until you get some good info, and take your time. This is one thing you can't rush if you want good results.
  3. Also try doing a search, I think there was a thread like this a couple weeks ago I saw or something like that.
  4. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Agree with By-Tor, despite the fact that he needs to lay off quoting the poor, misguided familiar of some obscure Scottish poet.
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You could give Pat Wilkins a try at Wilkins Guitars. He is widely considered to be the best in the biz and does the finish work for many "big name" bass companies.
  6. Luther

Jan 19, 2001
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Oh, and if you do it, stay away from the Instant Chrome -style "paints" that give metal-like surface(usually available as gold/chrome/copper) - they don't last very well and usually can't handle clear gloss, as they are ment for giving shiny metallic look for small ornamental objects such as flowers.

The ordinary gold sparkle and shoreline gold and such car spray colors work fine though.
  8. Doesn't it bother you that refinishing a vintage bass such as the 73 P bass, loses its vintage value once you have refinished it? I'm curious?

;) Treena
  9. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

Post some pics of the bass before you re-finish it. I think there is a few of that would like to see it.

And I can't help it, for I am a citizen of Legoland traveling Incommunicado.
  10. Can you PLEASE post a picture before you refinish this bass? Here's my 83
    P bas fretless done in custom gold.

Is this the color you want?

:confused: Treena
  11. Luther

Jan 19, 2001
    I purchased the 73 P-bass on ebay. It was in pretty bad shape. I bought it as a project bass. I refinished the body in Lake Placid Blue Metallic and I refinished the neck (except the headstock face) with the fender neck amber giving it an aged look. It's value does't concern me as I plan to keep it.
  12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    No wonder the original finished beauties are getting hard to find. IMO if you want a new-shiny bass, buy a new shiny bass!!! :)