1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Refinishing a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassChuck, Dec 1, 2005.

1. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Soon I will be involved with the project of refinishing a bass. I've never done any kind of woodworking (since Shop class 40 years ago) and need some advice.

I like the look of Tung Oil. Is there a problem with this on a bass that will be used everyday for several hours?

Should I finish the back of the neck with Tung Oil too, or is that a problem?

I intend to spend a lot of time on this to get it right. Are there any other problems that I need to be aware of.

thanks

2. Hi,
    I've had some very different experiences with varnishes/oils while renovating lately. Make sure you do a test strip to see how sticky it's going to be when its' dry - i know you already know this, but i made this mistake myself, and spent the rest of (THAT) day re-sanding and re-applying. :bawl:
    I refinished my bass about 2 years ago, and found that a standard satin-type varnish (thinned a LOT) applied about 4 or 5 times was enough. But it took me three different tins to work out which type was the best.
    Hope it helps.